doorbell problem

The house was built new in 1983 and I've replaced the button for the front doorbell a couple of times over the years. It was an unlighted button originally and I've always replaced it with an unlighted button. This time I haven't been able to find an unlighted button so I bought one that lights. When I attach the second wire, the doorbell begins ringing and doesn't stop until I remove the second wire. I thought the first replacement button was bad so I bought another, also lighted, and the same thing happens. Back doorbell was replaced with an unlighted button a few years ago and still works fine.
I've found an online source for an unlighted replacement pushbutton but is that my problem? Any insight would be appreciated.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Catherine. wrote:

Hi, Just cut the bulb out from the button. Lighted button is not compatible with some door bell(analog vs. digital; current draw is different).
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Tony Hwang wrote:

Thanks. I thought it was the fact that it was a lighted button. Appreciate the quick response.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 24 Sep 2006 19:40:42 -0700, "Catherine."

Is it one of those door bells that go Ding Dong from the front door and Ding from the back?
My house is from 1979 and that's the kind I have. The lighted button works fine for mine, but you don't relally need he light (obviously) and the wire is probably visible, a thin wire attached near where the wire to the house goes.
I'm not sure what a digital doorbell would be, or why you would have one.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You just described about 95% of doorbells made in the last 35 years (the remaining 5% doing crazy things like playing songs...)

What wire? He's fine with the wire, he wants to know if a lighted button is causing his doorbell issues. What's the "thin wire attached neear where the wire to the house goes? I don't understand what you're trying to describe...

A digital doorbell is one that uses a microprocessor and speaker to play a tone, vs. solenoids and a bell.
-Tim
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Tim Fischer wrote:

When we built the house in 1983, we installed one of those crazy doorbells that plays 30+ songs. It was amazing technology back in the day and the contractors wore out the batteries playing all the different songs before we even moved in. BTW, the batteries are just to change the songs....otherwise it's a standard doorbell with the transformer in the basement.
I tried removing the bulb in the new button this morning and you can't do it without making the new button inoperable. I'm going to order the unlighted replacement button online. Thanks, everyone, for the ideas.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
digital doorbells do wierd stuff like this been there done that:(
there was a work around like a diode across the bell, its probably still there but the new owners might object to finding me disassembling their doorbell:(
sold the house a couple years ago
no doubt you can intentially burn out the bulb by zapping it on too high a voltage but its way easier to swap the switch
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.