doorbell options with wireless

Hello out there, We are rehabbing a victorian townhouse and want to put in something more attractive than the standard wireless doorbell button. We want to avoid an expensive "real" wiring job. Is this possible? thanks,

Drill a hole in the underside of the porch roof, and run a 1/2" woven nylon rope up to an 18" school-bell on the upstairs deck.
The doorbell in my grandmother's house -- c 1910, had a mechanical doorbell on the front door. A key-like handle to be turned, and the bell was inside. Like a large bicycle bell. No wires. We caught hell as little kids when visiting when we rang the bell. They didn't get electricity in that part of Kansas until around 1920, if I recall correctly. Thus, I would say that that is authentic for the period. A Google search should turn up such a device. How about that Restorations outfit???
Rejuvenation Hardware -- http://www.rejuvenation.com-- is a great source for this kind of thing.
Jo Ann
professorpaul wrote:

"Who turned on the lights in the country, for a better live to be? Yes, R E M C brought the lights for a better life to be."
I suppose rural Indiana got electricity about the same time as Kansas, 1920?, but they were still playing the longer version of this song on the radio, frequently, when I go there in 1957.

Only problem would be the size of the building and if they will hear it from everywhere they want to hear it. It's pretty loud, but I was never inside listening when I turned one, and no
Is the OP saying he can't run two wires from behind a normal sized doorbell button to the basement?
moll wrote:

It would be easy enough for any semi-competent electron pusher to remove the guts from a wireless doorbell button and install it into any suitably elderly doorbell button housing that is large enough. My wireless buttons have an amazingly small amount of actual working parts in them. In some cases just drilling /chiseling a suitably-sized hole behind the antique escutcheon to accommodate the wireless guts would be the easiest way to go with the wired switch attached in parallel or replacing the wireless switch.
Some neat old-looking doorbell stuff here: http://www.vandykes.com/search.php?q=doorbell some of it being of the mechanical ringer variety.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
moll wrote:

I'll resist the temptation to ask you if you like big knockers.

LMAO!
I love big knockers!. It's my weakness. Nothing like getting your hands wrapped around one.

I doubt your house has aluminum siding on it, but if so, aluminum really reduces the range of those things.
Personally, I like the wired jobs. No batteries to replace and they always work.
doorbells are extremely simple electronic circuits and can be done using batteries if you feel thats easier than connecting to line voltage.
its a extremely simple and good strarter DIY project.
works better than wireless too.
pictures at: http://images.google.com/images?q=antique+victorian+doorbell&btnG=Search&svnum0&hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&safe=off
moll wrote:

moll wrote:

I recommend wired. I just removed my wireless doorbell and went back to a wired system. I have had a wireless door bell for several years and got tired of having to fight to find a frequency that somebody else doesn't move in on. Unless you can find an up scale wireless that will not pick up interference from the neighbors bite the bullet and go wired.
Bill Gill