Door Switches/ where buy ?

Page 2 of 2

re: "And yes, Radio Shack did sell alarm systems"
I don't believe anyone said RS didn't *sell* alarm systems.
Some (even I) said they didn't *make* them, in response to the words in your OP:
"Radio Shack no longer *makes* alarm systems..."
Would a dome tight switch from an auto work ?? I put one under my hood and wired my horn to it. Never lost a battery after that. Did have to go out at 3:00 am once but they ran like hell when the horn went off ---- little bastards. Jr
http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair
"James" wrote:

There's a product from GE Security called a 3005 "Roller Plunger" contact which is probably the closest to what you have in terms of size, shape and function. I sell them online. So does almost every other online alarm store. Here's a link to the SR-3005 on my website:
http://www.bassburglaralarms.com/product_720_detailed.htm?pSearchQueryId 644
If the hole in the woodwork is too shallow for the 3005 you can use the "short" version of the same switch, called a 3008:
http://www.bassburglaralarms.com/product_6279_detailed.htm?pSearchQueryId 645
--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

http://www.newark.com/switches
bob_v

Also
http://www.allelectronics.com /
James wrote:

You can get different types of plunger switches from Lee Electric or any electrical supply house that carries theirs or equivalent products. The recessed closet door switches can be obtained with either normally open or normally closed contacts. You can print out a picture and show it to a salesman at any electrical supply company and they'll know what you are looking for. You need to specify open or closed contacts for when the door is open. Lee Electric has a catalog in PDF format that you can download that will show you the specs and pictures of the different switches.
http://www.leeelectric.com/switches /
TDD
James wrote:

All Electronics on line has all kinds of switches. http://www.allelectronics.com /

EXACTLY!! AllElectronics has them. Less than $1. Just use the search term 'Pin Switch'
http://www.allelectronics.com/index.php?page=search&search_query=pin+switch
Yep, that switch is hard to find at RS. They used to carry it on the card wall, but no more.
You're talking about the 'pin switch' that is a screw in cylinder that when the pin is pressed, it doesn't ground out. When the door opens, the switch grounds.
I have a remote start on one of my cars, and that was use as the hood interlock switch. I went EVERYWHERE local looking for one when it broke. For a while I left it disconnected so my remote start would work.
Anyway, one day I swung into one of those 'car stereo' stores along the highway that also had a sign up that they install remote starters and they had a whole drawer of the things. Reasonably priced too.
I did find them online at one the remote starter web sites, but they were just plain on drugs for what they wanted for the things, and they had a huge minimum order.
Mike