Door swing survey

Page 2 of 3

Acne is not an auto-immune disease - it is caused by a bacterium.

✖
On Mar 2, 8:05 pm, snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

Cystic acne can be showing up with RA.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 1, 10:27 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

And they feel crummy when they wake up, don't they?
Add pictures here
✖
Michael B wrote:

You'll have better luck talking to a brick wall. snipped-for-privacy@aol.com is the kind of guy who doesn't believe anything exists outside of his personal experience.
There's a word for guys like that, and a reason they are best left to their own stupidity.
Jon
Add pictures here
✖
Jon Danniken wrote:

I don't generally read way off topic threads so I don't know what g has posted there.
For the mainline threads I find g's posts are far more useful than yours. For example he doesn't use irrelevant scam HP ratings to try to make a point. He has broad experience and writes interesting posts.
--
bud--

Add pictures here
✖
bud-- wrote:

Yes, he is knowlegeable and often contributes useful and relevant information. More importantly, he doesn't treat the group like a chatroom or a political soapbox, which is why he isn't in the bozo bin with most of the rest of the "top 25" posters.
That doesn't mean he is not thick as a brick, though.
Jon
Add pictures here
✖
Jon Danniken wrote:

Thick as a brick, like posting irrelevant scam HP ratings? Or there was that humorous HP calculation.
I don't remember anything from g that warrants your comment.
--
bud--

Add pictures here
✖

Must be a regional thing. I've never seen a swing out residential door that I can recall. Of course, I've limed in snow territory too.
Add pictures here
✖

My stepdad built stairs (5 steps) to a porch door, but with no outside landing. The door swings out. When I told him he'd have to back down a few steps to open the door, his correction was to tie a rope to the door handle to make it easier to get in. He has to stand next to the stairs to grab the rope and walk around the railing, pulling the rope.
Add pictures here
✖

How does one swing on a door?
nb
Add pictures here
✖

You grab the top of the door, straddle the outer edge with your legs over the knobs and swing.
Add pictures here
✖
notbob wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 26, 7:48 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Off the top of my head, all exterior doors in both my house and my parents' house (both in South Florida) open out. Both houses built in the early '70s I think. It's pretty common here. I assume to withstand hurricane winds, but it also makes it harder for an intruder to kick in a door.
You certainly wouldn't want that in snow country, or you could end up trapped (or at least very annoyed).
On the other hand, I'm sure more than one person here has found their door blocked closed by debris after a hurricane. With the new required window shutters that have to be unscrewed from outside, that could be a problem, so they may be moving towards inwardly opening doors...
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 00:46:09 -0800 (PST), Larry Fishel

The difference in the resistance to wind pressure is almost the same in both directions (+55/-50 PSF for the 130 zone) so the difference the swing gets you is not significant. You are still talking about 1100 pounds minimum on the inward force on a 3068 so these doors are not going be very easy to kick in.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

All the houses I've lived in in NY have had storm doors that swing out and entrance doors that swing in.
My current house has an insulated exterior door at the top of the cellar stairs that swings out. I built it that way & I'm glad I did. The landing to the stairs is just 40". The outside is covered so snow is not an issue. Since it is a utility door I don't want to mess with a stormdoor when I've got a hand full of tools, hoses, or whatever crap I might be bringing into or out of the basement.
I've lived in a house in both NY & VA that had a storm/screen door that swung out-- and an entrance door that swung out behind it. Try those suckers with an armload of groceries.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖
On 2/27/2011 7:51 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote: (snip)

???? I'm having trouble picturing that. Unless there was 3 feet between them, wouldn't the storm door finished opening have to be rather oversized to allow the real door to even open?
When I hit the lotto and build my dream house, exterior doors will all be on deep covered porches. Hate my current front door- no overhang, and no practical way to add one. Small stoop, and a big step up to threshold level. On Halloween, I have to sit outside, lest I sweep the kids off the porch with the storm door. I also can't bend over that far 100+ times in a 3 hour period any more. A lot of the other cookie cutters in the neighborhood have actually had wooden 6x6 front decks added over the concrete stoops to make the entrances more friendly, but they look funny with the style of the houses, and it would never pay me back on resale. Other than Halloween, I may get 6 people a year using front door, so I'll let the next owner deal with it.
Add pictures here
✖

yep-- Royal PITA. Storm doors in both places were 36" - the entrance doors were 32. The one in VA was actually a door we used fairly often. I can remember many times that you'd open the storm-- hold it with your butt, reach for the inside door- then you needed to let go of the knob on the inside door before the storm smashed your fingers.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖

Probably first remembering how those doors were *really* hung.<g>
I'm drawing a blank--- but obviously, as you point out. . . I'm mis-remembering something again. They were both houses I lived in in the early 70s.
Jim

Add pictures here
✖

Hate to tell you, but I got the winning numbers, they just haven't drawn them yet. I fantasize about having foyers, or what people commonly call "mud rooms", which would be mandatory if I ever build another house. Keep the dog from running out. Help contain HVAC. Place for muddy boots, etc. Keep the weather off the front door. A place for incoming and outgoing guests to pause without having the wind, snow or rain encroaching.
SteveB
Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Download the book $10 http://cabgbypasssurgery.com
Add pictures here
✖