Door swing question

Page 2 of 2
On 2/20/2011 2:13 PM, RicodJour wrote:

I don't think so. How would the extra office door at the other end of the house effect the code for the kitchen door that was allowed to swing outward? Having that extra office door swinging in made it pass code... it was the 2nd exit door that opened inward.

Correct, there is nothing prohibiting doors that swing out, they let me do that in the kitchen. But somewhere there is a code that requires at least 2 exit doors that swing in.

Maybe it was a local thing? All I know is I heard it firsthand from the inspector, and I've heard of it second (or third or fourth hand) from other people.
Now that I think of it, the modular home builder first balked at the kitchen door swinging out until I told him the added office door would swing in and be the 2nd exit.

Well, building inspectors are only human - at least that's the theory, and they do make mistakes. I've had some tell me doozies over the years. And they're 100% percent _certain_ that they're right. Unfortunately my normal tendency to stick a pin in the balloon has to be tempered with the knowledge that if you piss on the inspector's shoes, he'll shit on your project and there's not a lot you can do about it.
Local codes do get quite wacky, but I would bet dollars to donuts (I can't lose with that one - I love donuts), that it's some urban myth about the door swing code prohibition. People extrapolating from commercial egress codes and that sort of thing.
There are two possible reasons to prohibit a particular direction of door swing - emergency situations and local climactic conditions. In either case allowing one door to do something different because another door complies makes little sense. But that brings us full (or is that fool?) circle back to inspectors and people that write local codes.
I'd be really interested to read the exact wording of your local code that addresses the door swing direction. Maybe there's a clue in there about what they were thinking. If you find it, please post it. Thanks.
On 2/20/2011 4:17 PM, RicodJour wrote:

First, I said maybe it's a local code, I didn't say it is.
Second, there is the company that built the modular house for me, they don't build any without 2 exit doors that swing in unless you give them a written waiver. (at first they wanted me to sign a waiver until they realized there would be the 3rd exit door, which opened in.) They were located in PA but about 100 miles away. They deliver custom built modular homes to 5 or so different states, all with 2 doors that swing in.
Third, I moved 600 miles from there so I doubt I'll trade time with my family and grandchildren to read up on the ol' codes while I'm up there.

Spending time with your grandkids is more important to you than figuring out code for a door...? Man, you are an odd duck! ;)
Tony, what I was hoping to achieve is some resolution on this topic, as this question comes up frequently. People searching in years to come will run across this thread, and others. I thought it would be nice to leave a fully answered question to posterity. I guess it'll have to wait for another time...

I read that link and then looked for some pictures of a bascule lock. I couldn't find any. The description of the look says that the lock was operated by turning the lever either way - kind of like retracting a latch with a cylindrical latchset. You can turn the knob either way to open the door. So I really don't understand why the bascule lock presented such problems. Press either side of the lever either up or down and it opens. Where did the problem come in?
My doors swing in. I wouldn't be able to get out after two feet of snow if they swung out.
---MIKE---

>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')
On 2/18/2011 11:39 AM, Steve B wrote:

When I was up in PA it was code to have at least 2 exterior doors that swing in. I think it has to do with emergency exits during a fire. Too much snow and the doors aren't going to swing out. I'm not sure how storm doors get around that?
Never seen a storm door swing in... uh except for in my old basement going to the Bilco Doors. With the bilco doors open and the backwards storm door, we got lots of daylight and also some direct sun in the middle of winter.
On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 19:41:55 -0500, Tony Miklos

They don't. I went out twice during a recent snowstorm to shovel away the snow or I wouldn't have been able to open the storm door. The second time I had to squeeze myself out so I didn't stress the door too much. OTOH most storm doors I've seen are flimsy and have removable inserts, so even if snow was half way up it, you could manage to get out. I don't think snow blockage has much to do with door design. You're supposed to grab a shovel before you get trapped.
--Vic

Or, if you really want the door to swing out, you can use a rolling screen, if you need one.

In all the years I these "in/out" discussions have been conducted, that 'code' thing keeps being mentioned. Odd that not once have I ever seen a cite for it...
Harry K
On 2/19/2011 11:55 PM, Harry K wrote:

Come over and look at the books, it's in there.

So you can't supply a cite. I suspected as much.
Harry K