Door "standards" ?

Our home was built in 1994. We want to get a new front door. Someone told me that the standards changed right around that time, but he wasn't sure if it was before or after 1994. He told me that if our door was installed after, then all we need is a new door. Otherwise we would need a whole new jamb installed.

What do I need to measure or check?

Reply to
Anonymous

How about the height, width, and thickness of the door. What kind of door, wood or metal? Single door or double door?

I doubt that it is a problem or that you would need to change the jamb, but it may depend on what part of the country you live in.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

In addition to the other poster's advice on dimensions - check the height of the strike for the latch and deadbolt. I know that I had a problem once upon a time with a "standard" door that had a different deadbolt height than the jamb.

Check hinge locations too.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

I can't imagine what standards have been changed. For all doors there are many things to consider.

If the new door has no holes and no hinge mortises, you only need to find the height, width, and thickness. Commercial doors are usually 1 3/4" thick/ Residential can be 1 3/8 or 1 3/4. Most residential doors are 6'-8" tall, heavier and commercial doors are usually 7'-0". Most front entry doors are 3-0 wide, some may be

2-8 and some may be extra wide (3-6 and 4-0 are not unheard of)

If you are trying to buy a door that is already mortised with lock prep already done, you have many more things to consider. Open your door, put your back against the hinges, whichever arm you would use to be the door determines the "hand" of the door (right hand or left hand). Different brands use different hinge layouts and different size hinges. With the door open, push a tape measure up against the top of the jamb. Measure to the top of each hinge. Measure from the top of the hinge to the bottom. Many residential hinges are 3

1/2", some are 4", commercial are usually 4 1/2" Measure from the top of the jamb to the center of the strike hole. Measure to the center of dead bolt hole also if so equipped. Different locks use different set backs. Most residential doors use 2 3/8" backset. Heavier and commercial doors use 2 3/4" backset. This the distance from the strike edge of the door to the center line of the knob. There are other back sets, but they are unusual. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG