Door question

If a door opens out, is there a way to make it secure? You know this is not simply to lock it. The door hinges are exposed so the hinges have to be made secure too.

try: http://www.statefarm.com/consumer/vhouse/articles/doorhing.htm
google for secure door hinge
lee h
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 18:46:31 GMT, "lee_houston"

I should look at those pages myself before posting, but I still wanted to say that a properly fitted door can't be taken off the hinges just by removing the hinge pins. So they say. Of course who knows how well fitted well-fitted is.
Geting in or out by removing the hinge pinst used to be the clever thing in tv shows of the 50's or 60's, compared to now when they pretend to have devices that can tell exactly where every FBI agent is in a 10 story building.

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 18:46:31 GMT, "lee_houston"

This is verrrry interesting, a great page. What do they mean by "a deadbolt lock with a captured key feature," I know what a deadbolt is but what is a captured key feature.

You can replace one screw on each hinge with a special screw that has a pin protruding, it locks into the other side locking the door and frame, usualy at a locksmith or maybe HD.
yaofeng wrote:

Install security hinges.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Yes, but depending on the situation, it may be required to open one way or the other.
Most commercial locations must have the door opening out so it will not be jammed in case of emergency. Most residential codes require the door open in so it cannot be blocked by snow or by vandals to trap you.
Once you determine your needs. there are security hinges. You may want to talk to a locksmith for some security ideas.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Andy comments:
There should be a law requiring all bathroom doors in commercial buildings to open outward, so you don't have to touch the handles after you wash your hands to leave.....
Andy in Eureka, Texas