Door problems

Recently hung a new service door going to the outside from the garage. Initially it was (to coin a phrase) well hung as it closed smoothly, no hangups, etc. Over about the last 6 weeks or so, it has become increasingly harder to close and catching at a couple of places as shown by paint being pulled away, etc. 1) Any ideas as to why this happened (settling? swelling?) 2) Any ideas as to what I can do to fix it?
On 5/22/2013 8:09 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

With warmer weather and increased humidity, I'd say swelling of a wooden door is a distinct possibility.

We put it in around late March or early April and we have had a TON of rain and humidity. Any suggestions on how to fix it?
Might help to rub the door edge with a wax candle, make it slippery. Winter, it will dry out and you'll have drafts and air leakage. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

We put it in around late March or early April and we have had a TON of rain and humidity. Any suggestions on how to fix it?
On 5/22/2013 8:37 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

I do as Stormin and Oren suggest. I've had to do it with several doors and always noted that problem was worst during times of high humidity. I also assume that none of the hinges have loosened.
That, or swelling wood jamb. Might need to sand or plane off some wood, and repaint that area. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

With warmer weather and increased humidity, I'd say swelling of a wooden
door is a distinct possibility.

*The door was hung when it was cold and dry. Now it is warm and humid. It is natural for parts of a house to expand and contract seasonally. I have seen this happen to interior doors.
Use an orbital sander and take down the binding parts, but don't overdo it. When winter comes it will be well hung again.
On Wednesday, May 22, 2013 5:09:09 AM UTC-7, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Are you on some kind of slope? With the exception of one house that was built on three foot thick steel re-enforced caissons, I have observed that every old house that was built by a slope or rise to be slipping.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Remove sufficient wood, on the door, the jamb, or both, more than sufficient to allow the door to close easily. Then install weatherstripping to accommodate future expansion and contraction.

Discussed this with a handyman who happened to be around working on other things. He got out three longer screws, put them in the hinges and explained to me how that pulled the door further back into the hinges (if I understood his explanation). That worked. He didn't charge me anything. Of course he will get GREAT recommendations on Angie's List and any other place I can find.
On 05/22/2013 05:09 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Where specifically is the door rubbing/losing paint?
Jon
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Exterior doors should be steel.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Why? I've seen some fine wood and fiberglass-clad wood doors. Steel is ugly.

Do you live anywhere near where the bedroom disappeared in California, or any other place where the ground may be shifting.