Door problem

I just replaced an exterior door on my house and noticed a problem. The old door seemed to fit fine with the interior molding fitting properly.
I replaced the door and door frame. When I had the old door / frame removed to reveal the rough opening, I noticed (on the interior side) that the sheetrock on the left side and the right side are on different planes. That is to say that the sheetrock on the right side is about 1 half to 3 quarters inch further into the house than the left side.
This creates a situation where, if the new door / frame is flush to the sheetrock on the left, and thus proper fitting molding, it is recessed the above measurement into the wall on the right. This causes the molding (which is attached to the sheetrock ) to have a half inch or so gap the entire way down that edge of the door.
Across the top is another matter. Across the top from left to right causes a wedge shaped gap. Tight on the left and gapped on the right.
The only way I can think of to fix this ( because I cannot twist or angle the door) is to fill in the gap with a wood strip ( and a wedge shaped strip across the top) or to recess the moulding into the sheetrock. Both of these solutions have asthetic problems.
Has anyone experienced this problem? How did you fix it? Did I explain this in a way that you even know what I'm talking about?
Advice is highly appreciated.
Thank you.

I had that happened to me and my luggage on my last trip.
What a pain......
Coustanis wrote:

properly.
different
1
the
recessed
so
right.
about?
fill it and caulk it. it's not worth the extra trouble. you will never notice it.
snipped-for-privacy@nf.sympatico.ca wrote:

That's pretty much what I was thinking.
Thank you