Door knob locks are sticking, difficult to unlock/lock

I have a 1992-built house with Kwikset door knobs. Two adults (no children) have been living here since. These knobs have an inner tuning latch. Some of these latches are beginning to stick and sometimes requires some jiggling to get it unlocked. It takes a few tries to unlock the front door to open it which may not be good for emergencies. The separate deadbolts work just fine. I used graphite powder, but after a few months it starts to stick again. Is it typical home-maintenance procedure to have to powder your locks twice a year? Can these knob locks be repaired (cleaned?), buy more graphite, or is it time to replace them?
It is possible that they just need a good cleaning. However I might suggest replacing them with something a little better.
If you want to try cleaning, get a zero residue cleaner (electronic parts stores should have it) Spray and allow to dry. Then use a little of the graphite. With locks. less is usually better. Don't use oil based products like WD-40.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

I'd say it's time to replace. Don't get Kwikset though (low end brand). I'd recommend a good quality Schlage. It's worth the money in the long run.
"Good quality Schlage" isn't sold in the home centers. They went to a one piece outside door knob, changed the design, and really made a good lock into a pile of junk. Good quality (A-line) Schlage are available through locksmiths.
--

Christopher A. Young;
.

"marson" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message
Phisherman wrote:

The key wears out first.
You can get a lock re-keying set on Ebay for about $30 (pins and such) and spend a delightful afternoon learning something new and rehabilitating the keying mechanism.
Get every lock you have to work with the same key.
Take the door knob off the door. Set aside the indoor part, with the turn knob. The exterior knob part has the locking mechanism. On the inside of the trim, there is a rectangular mechanism. Between the two screw mounting hole posts. Give that square mechanism a squirt of WD, or some other lubricant. Graphite is OK. Put the key in, and cycle the lock a few times, give it a second squirt just in case. Look to see what is moving (center shaft, and a metal square plate). Make sure the moving parts are lubricated.
Reassemble the lock, and it should give you several more years of service.
--

Christopher A. Young;
.

"Phisherman" < snipped-for-privacy@nobody.com> wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 10:44:13 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

I completely cleaned the lock, including the exterior, used an air gun, masked the lock, applied 3 light lacquer coats, sprayed 3-in-1 over the workings and reassembled the lock knob. Works extra smooth, looks like new. Thanks!
You are an engineer? That's serious overkill. Anyhow, my pleasure. Please remit $47.50 for consultation fee.
--

Christopher A. Young;
.

"Phisherman" < snipped-for-privacy@nobody.com> wrote in message
You get what you pay for!
Notice that schools and businesses have really good quality locksets?
Well you can get these at a locksmith and you are looking at around $200.00. But they last forever. Ask for "commercial grade" Schlage or whatever. These are actually cheper in the long run as you don't need to replace them every few years. These are NOT sold at retail stores.
Schlage Commercial Grade... (Notice there is "Heavy duty" and "Standard duty". Click on "Heavy Duty"...) http://professional.schlage.com
"Phisherman" wrote in message

Steve Gordan had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Door-knob-locks-are-sticking-difficult-to-unlock-lock-268288-.htm : If you want to avoid the most common (and costly) construction mistakes. An approach that is both detailed and easy to understand. Strongly recommended. Available here.
http://www.tenderwarehouse.com