Door knob -- can't replace!

I need to replace my bedroom door knob with a new one.

I went to the hardware store and bought a Kwikset that claimed to fit all doors. It probably does if you know what you are doing.

The "insides" of the existing knob appear to be in the door for keeps. I can't remove it. I can remove both knobs from both sides of the door, but the insides -- I guess the "latch" appears to have been factory installed or something. Where it comes through the edge of the door it is round with no screws to hold it in the door.

So, since I can't remove the insides, I thought I would just leave them and install the new knobs. But the insides of the old are square and the new Kwikset is curved. Asked the hardware people and they said I would have to pound out the old insides, but that appears impossible.

Here's a web site with a pix of a similar set to what I have:

So, any suggestions? tina

Reply to
redwoodcoast

See those raised sections that look like barbs on the plastic part of the latch cylinder? If you've removed everything inside the large bored hole though the face of the door, those barbs are what is holding the latch in place. Press a block of wood up against the innermost end of the latch and give it a rap with a hammer - it should pop right out. If the latch has been painted over the paint will act as a glue, so you should use a razor knife to trace around the edge to free up the latch before hitting it with the block.

RicodJour

I didn't see what you mentioned, but I guess I got brave enough to hit hard enough. I wedged the end of a cheap screwdriver into the door and against the back of the latch and smacked it hard with my open hand, it moved a fraction of an inch, which encouraged me.

I smacked a few more times and it popped out. Putting the new one in was the reverse. Lock is now installed. Thanks again. t.

Reply to
redwoodcoast