@#$%@ door keeps swinging open

Hello all. The door to my upstairs bathroom likes to swing open (unless it's fully closed). If I just give the door a slight push to mostly close it (but not all the way), it swings right back open. Very annoying. I once heard someone say that you can fix something like this by slightly bending one of the pins in one of the hinges, but I cannot recall exactly. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot...

Mike

Reply to
Mike

An easier thing to do would be to remove the bottom hinge plate and using the plate as a template cut peices of paper or light cardboard. Place theses peices in the chisled slot then the hinge plate back in place over it. This would help in leveling up the hing plates eliminating the problem. Put a level on it before you start to determine what plate you need to work on (top or bottom).

Reply to
robson

Yep, works like a charm. Just don't bend it too much...

Reply to
RayV

Just take the pin out, lay it on the floor, whack it gently with a hammer 2-3 times and then tap it back in? Should I start with the middle (of 3) pins?

Thanks for any guidance...

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Yep, take it out, place on a flat hard surface and tap in the middle with a hammer. Don't go too far but if you do, it can be straightened out some. Trial and error.

Any other fix requires pulling at least one hinge and shimming or all hinges (or the door frame) and resetting so the door is level and plumb.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K