Door hinge won't move

I have an decorative door hinge on an exterior door that won't work -- it's stuck in the fully open position. I've taken it off the door and tried removing the pin, which won't budge. It doesn't appear to be rusted, but can't see between the hinge and the pin. Sprayed it several times with WD40, but still won't move. Any suggestions on how to get this working again? I think finding an exact match to replace it will be close to impossible.

Thanks.

Reply to
James Auer

WD-40 (W ater D isbursing) is not what you need. Get a can of Liquid Wrench or some other similar penetrating oil and make applications a couple of times a day for a few days and it should free up. The key to the product you need is Penetrating Oil.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Right on, Dude. Here's a twist I learned from an old timer a while back. He had a stuck widget of some sort, grabbed it with his pliers and held over the lit burner of the family stove for a few seconds and dropped it into a tin of his favorite penetrant. Probably hotter than boiling water, not enough to make the pentrant sizzle. Let it soak overnight and showed the reult the next day, free as can be. Your results might vary, but saving an irreplaceable item may take heroic efforts. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst