Door bell wired wrong

Page 3 of 5

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 17:29:07 -0600, Mark Lloyd

You should refer them to your website!
On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 17:51:21 -0600, West Alarm

Hadn't thought of that. I do have an appropriate picture.
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com/atheist/bullshit.jpg
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

I look at it differently, as in "Thank you for concerning yourself with my welfare" -- which truly *is* how they see it. [snip]

They do think that. I clearly don't agree. But I see no point in being rude to them.
--
Regards,
On Feb 8, 7:17 pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I just googled for the best way to keep JW's from coming to your house - Put a "Blood Doner" sticker on your door!
Steve

I might just do that -- I've been donating blood for a long time. Almost up to ten gallons total.
--
Regards,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

What's their problem with blood donors???

I don't know if they actually have a problem with *donors*, but the JW church teaches that they cannot *receive* transfusions. Even to save life.
--
Regards,
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 01:17:00 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I suppose. Of course it sure doesn't LOOK like that.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Not to you. But I promise you that it does to them.
The way I see it, they're pretty harmless. They really are trying to do good (by their standards, at least), and they're not hurting anyone in the process. Much preferable, IMO, to go door-to-door trying to evangelize unbelievers than to, say, fly airplanes into buildings to make your point.
They're annoying only to the extent that you allow them to annoy you. Just smile, thank them, tell them you're not interested, wish them a good day, and go back in the house -- no sense in getting yourself upset. As I pointed out to another poster, if you treat them rudely, you get yourself a lot more upset than you get them, so who's being harmed?
--
Regards,
It is my understanding that the worst way you can disappoint them is to refuse the literature. As far as they are concerned, if they leave the pamphlet, they've done their job. Whether or not you read it. So the best policy is to open the door, and refuse the literature and THEN say no thanks, cya later.

"Doug Miller" < snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com> wrote in message
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 01:17:00 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

A person who puts HIS opinion of what's best for me above MY opinion of what's best for me has earned rather more distrust than gratitude.
--Goedjn

Oh, I quite agree. That's one reason why I neither stand there debating with them, nor read their literature.
My point, though, is that if I regard the JWs as annoying pests, or as nuisance do-gooders who think they know what's best for me and are determined that I have it -- it gets me upset. And I bet it does you, too, if you're honest with yourself about it.
I remain much calmer if I think of them as sincere, but misguided, folks who are trying in their own way to help their fellow human beings. I have no interest in receiving the type of help they wish to provide, but if that lack of interest causes me to become angry and turn them away harshly, in the end I have harmed only myself.
Now if I could only persuade myself to take the same attitude toward the environmental activists that go door-to-door in my neighborhood (after driving here in a Suburban!)...
--
Regards,
On Feb 8, 10:13 am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Yes, the polite "no thanks" and immediate leave will work...once, twice...thrice...etc. They will keep coming bck every year. My method is a one shot thing as they apparently keep some sort of a 'don't go there' list.
Harry K

How about putting an official looking sign on the door: "Registered Sex Offender". When they bring the young ones with them, tell them they're pretty, even if they're boys.

The various signs, etc. unless posted prominently at the street allows them to get to the door before turning back and I don't think a sign will deter them.

I remember hearing something once about having a big barking dog named Satan. You haven't actually done anything wrong (unless the dog really does bite). The name "Satan" isn't THEIR property, even if they'd like to claim otherwise.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

No, they don't -- I've been in my present house for almost 8 years, and the JWs have come to my door twice.
And even if they did come every year -- SO WHAT? How much of your time does it take to be polite, anyway?

Doubtful, very doubtful. You'll see them again. They really don't go to every house, every year. They just haven't gotten back to your house for round 2 yet.
Consider this:
When I'm polite to them, they smile and thank me, and go on their way. I smile and go back in the house calmly and go about my day.
They're not upset, and I'm not upset.
When you're rude to them, they go away consoling themselves with the words of Jesus: "Blessed are you when they persecute you and revile you, and utter every sort of evil against you for my sake, for great shall be your reward."
They're *still* not upset -- if anything, they may be rejoicing at earning the promised heavenly reward.
You, on the other hand, go back in the house fuming, your blood pressure elevated, your stomach churning, your teeth clenched... Do you really feel better for having told them off?
I think I like my way better.
:-)
--
Regards,

I like my way best- I look through the peephole, and if I see shiny faces and glassy eyes, and especially teenage boys in white shirts and ties, I just don't answer the damn door. They go away eventually. Life is too short, etc.
aem sends....

The last time that happened, it was white name badges with crosses on them.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

I never really understood how they seemed to think that ONE MORE repetition of that nonsense (which did actually remind me of a male bovine) would have a completely different effect.
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com