door bell repair update

Well I picked up a builder grade door bell chime kit for approx $10 thinking in advance it might come in handy. When I looked at the original door bell later, I found a spring off and a plastic part (looked like some sorta end cap). I couldn't figure how to extend the part that holds the spring and even if I had, I'm not sure how the spring would have stayed on it. So I elected to swap out the old with the new chime (on the wall). Easy repair and the moment I swapped it out, door bell chimed again.

A dandy lesson learned via the protocol of 'value analysis'. Or as the old timers might say, "What's your time worth?"
Joe
Man, you know how to make us home repair guys proud. You're really ringing my chime. Way to go!