Door Bell Not Working

We have a new doorbell with Westminster chimes that is hard wired. When you push the door bell button and release it the door bell chimes the first bell, but stops. If you hold the door bell button in, the bell will ring through the entire 8-note chime. Does it sound like it is miswired or defective. The brand is Heath Zenith. Thanks!
On Jul 6, 2:11?pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

did you replace transformer?
chimes need more voltage........

One of the buttons needs a resistor on it. Did you replace the button? Is the chime new? Did it ever work? The resistor allows it to work through the entire chime sequence. They give you one with the chime and it goes across the terminals of the button. RTFM
Worst case scenario is to put a sign over the button asking people to hold the button through eight notes.
On 6 Jul, 14:11, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

It one note enough to get you to answer the door? If so, leave it be. Who needs 8 notes to tell if there is someone at the door?
If the chime is powered by a transformer, and not batteries, (some can be wired either way) it needs a constant 16 volts at the chime and a switch leg from the chime to each push button. Once the push button is momentarily pushed, the chime uses its self contained 16 volt power to continue the melody until its finished. A standard ding-dong chime only requires a momentary pulse of 16 volts to operate. If this device is replacing a ding -dong chime, it may be wired incorrectly

I had a doorbell button that was plastic, and finally fell to pieces. I went and bought another. On the old one, there was a small electronic device, either a resistor or diode that was wired across the two connectors.
When I installed the new one, the new one did not have one. The doorbell did the exact same thing, ringing only as long as you held the button down. I put the little component from the old one back in, and it still would not work. Apparently there was a polarity issue, as I reversed it, and it worked just fine.
Not sure if you changed button and all, but you apparently are missing something in the setup.
Steve
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Is it a mechanical chime? Then there is a logic board controlling gong motor and such. Sounds like it is not holding the power once button triggers the circuit. I have one in my house.