Door adkustment possible?

I have a french looking door facing the north end of the house. There is what i call a fake door on the left, a real door in the middle, and a fake door on the right.

Whenever there is a strong nothern wind I can feel air blow through where the middle door closes. There is more of a gap on the door handle side than the hinge side. It is terrible in winter. I actuall have to stuff towels in the crevice. This is a back door that goes into a deck.

Can I "shim" the hinges with something to make there less of a gap? I have tried weatherstripping on the outside but it did not work.

Reply to
Don

Shimming the door will seal one side a bit better, but open the other side. It will probably create other problems also. Not seeing exactly what the setup is, I can't give the exact fix. Take a trip to the local home center and see what is available. There are many types of weather-stripping, overlap moldings, etc. that will do the job. Some are designed to go on the outside, others between the door and the jamb. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I never thought of theat. Can I nail some type of strip wood to the frame to close the gap? Where would I get this wood? The guys at the home centers around here are not very helpful. I asked about this problem and the guy said, "Just spray in some expandable foam" I said "How then will I open the door." He saud "Oh."

Reply to
Don

Consider installing a nice tight storm door. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

You may be in the market for an astragal.

It can be wood or metal. Look here:

There are several configurations from which to choose.

DanG