Dont they sharpen axes at the factory anymore?

I bought an inexpensive axe (12" hatchet) at Menards for $12.99. Made by Yardworks. I mainly bought it for cutting roots on a digging job I'm doing. I have a costly axe for actually cutting trees and similar uses, and I dont want to dull that one on roots. This one I just bought dont seem to bad for the price, has a fiberglass handle with a rubber grip, but you'd think they would sharpen it.
It came with a piece of rubbery clear protective coating over the blade, which appears to have been dipped in this stuff. Anyhow, I removed that protective coating and it's not even close to being sharp. Sure, I can sharpen it, but that's not a job I enjoy doing. It dont need to be a precise sharpening job for what I intend to use it for, but the way I bought it, I doubt it will cut much of anything.
On Fri, 06 Nov 2015 22:02:25 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

We bought a hatchet on vacation to chop up some firewood and it was like yours, not sharp at all. I ended up putting a little bit of an edge on it using the curb in the parking lot and honing it on a parking stop.

How'd that work? I'd have thought of Harbor Freight, buy a flat file for $2.79 or so.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Sat, 07 Nov 2015 00:56:11 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

buy for less than it costs to have them professionally sharpened???

Been a few years since I bought an axe and hatchet at Harbor Freight. Seems they were sharp. Nice German head with US made wood handle each.
Greg

If yer gonna use it to chop dirt, I suspect you will be sharpening it quite often.
nb