Dont they sharpen axes at the factory anymore?

I bought an inexpensive axe (12" hatchet) at Menards for $12.99. Made by Yardworks. I mainly bought it for cutting roots on a digging job I'm doing. I have a costly axe for actually cutting trees and similar uses, and I dont want to dull that one on roots. This one I just bought dont seem to bad for the price, has a fiberglass handle with a rubber grip, but you'd think they would sharpen it.

It came with a piece of rubbery clear protective coating over the blade, which appears to have been dipped in this stuff. Anyhow, I removed that protective coating and it's not even close to being sharp. Sure, I can sharpen it, but that's not a job I enjoy doing. It dont need to be a precise sharpening job for what I intend to use it for, but the way I bought it, I doubt it will cut much of anything.

Reply to
Paintedcow

We bought a hatchet on vacation to chop up some firewood and it was like yours, not sharp at all. I ended up putting a little bit of an edge on it using the curb in the parking lot and honing it on a parking stop.

Reply to
gfretwell

How'd that work? I'd have thought of Harbor Freight, buy a flat file for $2.79 or so.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What do you expect from chinese or Indian produced "tools" that you buy for less than it costs to have them professionally sharpened???

Reply to
clare

Been a few years since I bought an axe and hatchet at Harbor Freight. Seems they were sharp. Nice German head with US made wood handle each.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

If yer gonna use it to chop dirt, I suspect you will be sharpening it quite often.

nb

Reply to
notbob