Dont know the extension cord value

Page 1 of 2
I came across an extension cord that the previous owner left in the shed. I looked for any writing of the size of this cord...there is absolutely none. Is there a way to check the gauge of it? It is usable, but nervous in using it on my electric lawn mower, as an example.
On 7/28/2012 9:27 AM, Novel8 wrote:

looked for any writing of the size of this cord...there is absolutely none. Is there a way to check the gauge of it? It is usable, but nervous in using it on my electric lawn mower, as an example.
Voltage drop with a known load will tell you the wire gauge. Do you have a volt meter?

Most positive way is to take an end off and measure the wire with a gauge.
On Saturday, July 28, 2012 10:34:55 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

No, I have neither volt meter nor know what is a gauge measurer. Thanks
By the time you go to all that work, might have been easier to go buy another cord. I've put ends on cords, over the years. Hardly worth the effort.
I'm guessing you are a home user. I was told (and found it on the net) that business users are not allowed, by OSHA, to repair extension cords. Nor, to tape the cords when they wear or fray.
No, I have neither volt meter nor know what is a gauge measurer. Thanks

A decade or so ago my son was helping a rich lawyer guy clean out his garage. When I went to pick my son up, I saw a 25' 12 gauge extension cord with a reel on top of the trash heap. It looked brand new.
I looked at it and found that the cord had been cut about 6' from the end. Both pieces were still there.
I took it home, put a plug on one piece and a socket on the other.
All these years later I'm still using both extension cords on a regular basis. It was well worth the minor effort and cost.
On 7/28/2012 12:23 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Amazing how the price escalates when you compare 18/16/14/12 g cords of the same length and number of conductors.
On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 10:59:17 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Take a lot more time and effort to run out and buy a new one instead of taking the 10 minutes to repair the end.

...assuming you don't have to run out and buy a new end.
On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 01:54:02 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

I regularly stock them....

We can be pretty confident that the OP doesn't.
On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 01:54:02 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

The OP, not having either a VOM or a wire gage, sounds like it would take him MUCH longer to go to the store, try to find the proper end, and then spend a bunch of time buying a wire cutter, a wire stripper, screw drivers, and learning how to put the ends on. And after all that time invested, not be sure his results were safe. Because he'd never done one of those.

Take a lot more time and effort to run out and buy a new one instead of taking the 10 minutes to repair the end.
Years ago, when I was a teen, I helped my father doing construction. He asked me to bring up his circular saw (he was on the roof). This was in the days before double insulated tools, the skill saw was all metal and three wire plug. I grabbed the saw took a couple steps to the aluminum ladder and started up. About two rungs in I got a huge shock and my hand clamped around the rung I was hanging on and my other hand clamped around the metal handle of the skill saw. I couldn't let go! So I made a throwing motion with my arm so that the weight of the saw would cause it to pull out of my clenched hand. I had to make the motion a couple times and threw the saw to the ground breaking the connection. My dad saw that and yelled at me that it was no way to treat his tools!! I told him what happened and he said his dumb assistant had cut thru the extension cord yesterday but had fixed it. We took the tape off the "repair" and saw that he had paid no attention to any of the wire colors and just hooked em up at random. Up until I grounded out on the aluminum ladder the saw and ext cord had worked fine all morning......
On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 06:26:20 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

I hope you had the dumb assistant saw some boards, while standing in a grounded barrel of salt water?
[...]
He wasn't there. I was the replacement dumb assistant for the Saturday.
On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 20:30:35 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 10:59:17 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

As stated before, installation of a certified cord end, male or female, is NOT a repair. You may not tape or otherwize repair any damage between the cord ends. You MAY cut the cord at the damaged point and make 2 short cords.
Mow your lawn. If the cord is appreciably warm after you're done, replace it with at 14 or 12 gauge extension cord.
On 7/28/2012 7:41 AM, Novel8 wrote:

just monitor the cord temperature as you mow, just feel it up:)
In a moment like this, I'd try to find a small town hardware store. Carry the cord in, and ask the people there. The old guy with the grey hair should be able to heft the cord, look at it, and guess pretty close.
Old cords often have corroded plug and socket, and might not be worth the effort.