Dont install Vinyl Siding

Page 1 of 2
Recently there was a huge fire in a city near my home. I saw it on TV, and I drove past the remains today. The old 2 story business with 5 apartments on the second floor (The building where the fire began), was leveled. Four other homes and two garages were also leveled. There are some bulldozers there, because they will be removing all the rubble soon. The news reports said that nothing can be salvaged. One partly burned garage was already demolished (immediately after the fire), because it was leaning against a home that did not burn.
But the part that caught my eye were other buildings nearby that are still standing. All of those buildings which have vinyl siding, even those as far away as a block, have siding all warped and/or falling off. Some places have large blobs of this siding melted together at the base of the house. The buildings with painted wood siding were not damaged, except those directly next to the fire, where the paint was charred in spots.
If you suspect there will ever be a fire in your neighborhood, DO NOT install vinyl siding. It does not hold up in heat.
On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 9:19:50 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@work.com wrote:

no but every 5 years theres scraping, sanding and repaiting..
I believe that if a neighbors home has a fire that damages your vinyl sided home the fire insurance will pay for your damages, or your homeowners will cover it.
vinyl siding ends for a lifetime the hassles and costs of repaiting. plus you can get foam insulation board added, to save big bucks on utiity bills

I suppose it depends on where you live. We're in the PNW. I don't think our house was freshly painted when we moved in almost 10 years ago and it is just now getting to the point where I see paint chipping off of the garage door. The rest of the house still looks good but... We are getting new roofing put on and that will include new soffit because they used the wrong kind of wood. That will need to be painted so we will be painting the rest of the house as well. Vinyl siding is not that popular here.
I had vinyl when I lived in military housing. I hated the stuff! One winter, we had a severe blizzard complete with high winds. The siding blew partially off on one end of the house. I had to keep listening to it whip back and whap the house for days on end. Maintenance couldn't get up to my house to fix it as there was so much snow!

On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 8:35:33 PM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

And steel is even better - doesn't dent, cost a bunch more though. I wouldn't use vinyl on the looks alone after it has been up several years.
Harry K
On 5/14/2014 12:02 AM, Harry K wrote:

looks alone after it has been up several years.

Wish more people would think in terms of fire safety. California wild fires for example, there was a famous picture one time with fire destruction as far as the eye can see, and one house intact. The guy had used every fire wise principle he could, the neighbors did not.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 5/13/2014 11:35 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Off the edge of my memory, I think aluminum siding was outlawed in USA after someone got electric shock. Any truth to that?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 5/14/2014 6:48 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Nope. It's still manufactured and available for sale. I expect it's more expensive than most people want to pay.
Speaking of electric shock, my next door neighbor's home and garage has aluminum siding. Ten-twelve years ago we had a very strong, very localized storm rip through our neighborhood and take down tree limbs and power lines. Afterwards, he'd just walked into his garage when a section of live wire touched the siding on the garage. Ka-BOOM! I hollered and began to run over there - then pulled up short, realizing a mess of live wires and branches were between me and his garage. He came out of his garage shaking his head. The look on his face was priceless.
On 5/14/2014 8:06 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

One of those "wish I had a camera" moments? Thanks for sharing. And thanks for acting with safety.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

homeowners will cover it.

bucks on utiity bills

years.

I don't know about damp climates, but stucco works good here in the peoples republic (calif). This house was stuccoed 22 years ago and only a few spots on the north side have started to flake off.

I don't know about damp climates, but stucco works good here in the peoples republic (calif). This house was stuccoed 22 years ago and only a few spots on the north side have started to flake off.
--

I saw some stucco in Canada (Vancouver area) but have no clue how well it
holds up there. I would presume that their weather isn't too much different

There are different grades of siding and there are good and bad installations. My siding is still in great condition after 33 years and I expect it will last another 33 years.
On 5/13/2014 8:19 PM, snipped-for-privacy@work.com wrote:

We've had stories in the local papers about idiots who used their barbecue grills, firepits, or turkey fryers right next to their house, and in the process melted their plastic siding. Some people just don't think.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Vinyl is cheap, easy to replace and maintain, but it's also easy to damage, flutters in high winds, and doesn't give a sense of confidence in the overall structure.
I like my houses to have brick siding. Just looks and and feels solid. Costs more but worth it in my opinion.
badgolferman wrote:

Rock is free here just for the pickin' it up ... maybe that's why they call it Stone County . My house <currently under construction> will have rock <technically Arkansas field stone> up to the bottom of the windows , split white oak shakes above . If I can figure out how to make uniform splits ... might just have to make use of the machine shop to build a device to do that since I know of no one around here doing that . Maybe a horizontal band saw , that'd leave a nice rough finish . -- Snag
On Wednesday, May 14, 2014 5:25:14 AM UTC-7, Terry Coombs wrote:

Should be some "do-it-yourself" on how to split shakes on the 'net. Takes a froe and mallet plus blocks to split them off of. Not a hi-tech job.
Aah, here's one:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/wooden-shingles-zmaz73ndzraw.aspx#axzz31hUMMiI5
Harry K
On Tue, 13 May 2014 23:35:33 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I've heard aluminum siding interferes with radio reception inside the house. And maybe OTA tv reception, if the antenna is within the siding. .
Same for steel.
If you want to check it out, call some of the companies that make radio and tv antennas.
Harry K wrote:

Thank You ! That link is now saved in my construction stuff bookmark folder . I don't have a froe , but I have a neighbor that's a blacksmith and a couple of OCS's . Also have about 12,000 trees , surely I can find enough straight wood to make a few shakes !
--
Snag

On Wednesday, May 14, 2014 12:00:19 PM UTC-7, Terry Coombs wrote:

<snip>

Dunno if it is mentioned in the link but a common way of making a froe starts with a section of leaf spring from a car that has the eye already formed.
Harry K

properly installed and not abused. Cheap vinyl siding looks like crap the day it is installed and goes downhill from there. The same can be said of poorly installed vonyl siding.
I have never seen any decent steel residential siding over here, and there is aluminum siding that is quite dent resistant (but it is not common)