Dont install Vinyl Siding

Recently there was a huge fire in a city near my home. I saw it on TV, and I drove past the remains today. The old 2 story business with 5 apartments on the second floor (The building where the fire began), was leveled. Four other homes and two garages were also leveled. There are some bulldozers there, because they will be removing all the rubble soon. The news reports said that nothing can be salvaged. One partly burned garage was already demolished (immediately after the fire), because it was leaning against a home that did not burn.

But the part that caught my eye were other buildings nearby that are still standing. All of those buildings which have vinyl siding, even those as far away as a block, have siding all warped and/or falling off. Some places have large blobs of this siding melted together at the base of the house. The buildings with painted wood siding were not damaged, except those directly next to the fire, where the paint was charred in spots.

If you suspect there will ever be a fire in your neighborhood, DO NOT install vinyl siding. It does not hold up in heat.

Reply to
Caulking-Gunn

no but every 5 years theres scraping, sanding and repaiting..

I believe that if a neighbors home has a fire that damages your vinyl sided home the fire insurance will pay for your damages, or your homeowners will cover it.

vinyl siding ends for a lifetime the hassles and costs of repaiting. plus you can get foam insulation board added, to save big bucks on utiity bills

Reply to
bob haller

I still like aluminum siding a WHOLE lot better than vinyl.

Reply to
clare

And steel is even better - doesn't dent, cost a bunch more though. I wouldn't use vinyl on the looks alone after it has been up several years.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

vinyl sided home the fire insurance will pay for your damages, or your homeowners will cover it.

repaiting. plus you can get foam insulation board added, to save big bucks on utiity bills

wouldn't use vinyl on the looks alone after it has been up several years.

I don't know about damp climates, but stucco works good here in the peoples republic (calif). This house was stuccoed 22 years ago and only a few spots on the north side have started to flake off.

Reply to
Guv Bob

I suppose it depends on where you live. We're in the PNW. I don't think our house was freshly painted when we moved in almost 10 years ago and it is just now getting to the point where I see paint chipping off of the garage door. The rest of the house still looks good but... We are getting new roofing put on and that will include new soffit because they used the wrong kind of wood. That will need to be painted so we will be painting the rest of the house as well. Vinyl siding is not that popular here.

I had vinyl when I lived in military housing. I hated the stuff! One winter, we had a severe blizzard complete with high winds. The siding blew partially off on one end of the house. I had to keep listening to it whip back and whap the house for days on end. Maintenance couldn't get up to my house to fix it as there was so much snow!

Reply to
Julie Bove

I don't know about damp climates, but stucco works good here in the peoples republic (calif). This house was stuccoed 22 years ago and only a few spots on the north side have started to flake off.

Reply to
Julie Bove

There are different grades of siding and there are good and bad installations. My siding is still in great condition after 33 years and I expect it will last another 33 years.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

bunch more though. I wouldn't use vinyl on the looks alone after it has been up several years.

Wish more people would think in terms of fire safety. California wild fires for example, there was a famous picture one time with fire destruction as far as the eye can see, and one house intact. The guy had used every fire wise principle he could, the neighbors did not.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Off the edge of my memory, I think aluminum siding was outlawed in USA after someone got electric shock. Any truth to that?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Nope. It's still manufactured and available for sale. I expect it's more expensive than most people want to pay.

Speaking of electric shock, my next door neighbor's home and garage has aluminum siding. Ten-twelve years ago we had a very strong, very localized storm rip through our neighborhood and take down tree limbs and power lines. Afterwards, he'd just walked into his garage when a section of live wire touched the siding on the garage. Ka-BOOM! I hollered and began to run over there - then pulled up short, realizing a mess of live wires and branches were between me and his garage. He came out of his garage shaking his head. The look on his face was priceless.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

We've had stories in the local papers about idiots who used their barbecue grills, firepits, or turkey fryers right next to their house, and in the process melted their plastic siding. Some people just don't think.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

Vinyl is cheap, easy to replace and maintain, but it's also easy to damage, flutters in high winds, and doesn't give a sense of confidence in the overall structure.

I like my houses to have brick siding. Just looks and and feels solid. Costs more but worth it in my opinion.

Reply to
badgolferman

One of those "wish I had a camera" moments? Thanks for sharing. And thanks for acting with safety.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Rock is free here just for the pickin' it up ... maybe that's why they call it Stone County . My house will have rock up to the bottom of the windows , split white oak shakes above . If I can figure out how to make uniform splits ... might just have to make use of the machine shop to build a device to do that since I know of no one around here doing that . Maybe a horizontal band saw , that'd leave a nice rough finish . -- Snag

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Should be some "do-it-yourself" on how to split shakes on the 'net. Takes a froe and mallet plus blocks to split them off of. Not a hi-tech job.

Aah, here's one:

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I've heard aluminum siding interferes with radio reception inside the house. And maybe OTA tv reception, if the antenna is within the siding. .

Same for steel.

If you want to check it out, call some of the companies that make radio and tv antennas.

Reply to
micky

Thank You ! That link is now saved in my construction stuff bookmark folder . I don't have a froe , but I have a neighbor that's a blacksmith and a couple of OCS's . Also have about 12,000 trees , surely I can find enough straight wood to make a few shakes !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

GOOD vinyl siding still looks pretty good after 30 years if it is properly installed and not abused. Cheap vinyl siding looks like crap the day it is installed and goes downhill from there. The same can be said of poorly installed vonyl siding.

I have never seen any decent steel residential siding over here, and there is aluminum siding that is quite dent resistant (but it is not common)

Reply to
clare

Military housing - built as cheaply as possible. The only cheaper construction is on first nations reserves.(not saying it is their fault any more than it is the fault of the soldiers)

Reply to
clare