Dont buy Sylvania Silverstars

I own a 2002 Volvo, the one that keeps your lights on whenever the car runs. Problem is, in 5 years all factory lights have worked till last year when I replaced one burnt out headlamp with a SilverStar. The Silverstar has since been replaced with yet another silverstar, and now a regular bulb. In one year, 2 Silverstars lasted 6 months each, with only 9000 miles of driving. I went back to regular bulbs. I did not touch or scratch the bulb on removal or instalation, Silverstars just cant do the hours needed.

Reply to
ransley

bigjimpack

I don't know about that. I've had the same set of Silverstars in for about 4 years now in my Taurus.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I forget the exact numbers but "standard" lights are rated to last around 1200 hours of use. The "high output" lights, like silverstar, are only rated for a few hundred hours. It's the tradeoff you have for more light. So if they are always on due to the DRL feature they won't last long.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I believe the short life involves two factors. First I believe the Silverstars have a shorter life by design. That is part of the tradeoff for longer life. Second is dependent on the design of the headlamps. If they don't provide much air circulation (cooling) the hotter running Silverstars will be more likely to suffer than standard lamps.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan