Donating to NYC

Page 6 of 6
On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 09:19:23 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Speaking of which..I have a brand new pair of those Mickey Mouse boots..the inflatable Arctic boots in size 9 that I picked up at a yard sale. Bata made (makers name..good maker). These are true GI issue, and as far as I can determine..absolutely brand new.
Anyone want them? $10 plus shipping at cost.
Winter is indeed coming.
Anyone? They go on Ebay in 2 days if no one wants t hem.
Gunner
-- "
Gunner wrote:

Those would have fit me, 40 years ago. :)
On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 14:35:07 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Ive worn size 11.5-12 for 40 yrs. Some of the imported stuff ..I may go to 12.5
But they were so nice, I snagged em for someone to use.
I do think about my people here on the newsgroups.
Gunner
-- "
Gunner wrote:

I was 8.5 W back then. Now, its 12 EEEEEE.:(

Now that sounds like a challenge! I camped in winter for my first time last year and failed miserably! :) We spent one night in -5F temps and we traveled to our camping spot in in a storm. I could only stay warm if I kept moving, so I did not sleep at all! I'm going to try it again this year with the same group. I have a MSS which I'm hoping will keep me warmer at night. I'm waiting for colder weather now so that I can test said theory by camping on my porch for a night in cold temps.
misanthrope wrote:

You used the tent half to make a lean to, then piled snow over it and one the open side & on the end facing the wind. The snow was insulation. You remove your arctic boots and put them inside the arctic sleeping bag with you, to prevent frostbite the next morning. You zip the sleeping bag up tight and just leave a big enough opening to breath. Done properly, it wasn't a cold or that uncomfortable night.

Thanks for sharing the strategy!
misanthrope wrote:

You're welcome. The most important thing to do is think, before you act. You rarely get a second chance under those conditions.

They'd have to be put into a vacuum (not the cleaner).
RobertPatrick wrote:

Really? They keep for several years without doing that. You can toss some desiccant packs in, if you're paranoid.

Or an inert gas such as argon, nitrogen and so forth. Even CO2 will work for pastas and rice type items.
As long as they are kept sealed and dry...they have a surprisingly long life span, even if only in air.
Gunner
-- "

More stuff while it may be of some small help is going to clog up the system. If all you have to donate is what it would cost to ship the stuff then go for donating the shipping cost in cash. Take the 'stuff' to the local food bank/outreach group as there are people local to you in need as well.
I looked at the SA and can find little info on how to help NY/NJ etc with cash. Someone suggested the DAV and that's likely where what little I can offer will go.
We have friends of friends that have been hammered so we're sending via the family network assistance. I do this with the full expectation that the excess will be delivered person to person to those close at hand who are in need.
Before the storm hit we sent a truck load of rebuilt gen sets to members of our extended family in KY, NC and WVA. These were equipped to power multiple homes. According to reports that project did what was needed for a small group of folk and their neighbors.
So one gen set here another there three or four houses with light, fridge and power for the furnace will make a difference. I wonder what could be accomplished if the three gen sets sitting in the middle of central park could do if there were put to use.
Yeah, but Major Bloombutt says it was supposed to be a morale boost....
I've heard of folks sharing generators, and rotating circuits. It can be done, if people are polite about it.
Before the storm hit we sent a truck load of rebuilt gen sets to members of our extended family in KY, NC and WVA. These were equipped to power multiple homes. According to reports that project did what was needed for a small group of folk and their neighbors.
So one gen set here another there three or four houses with light, fridge and power for the furnace will make a difference. I wonder what could be accomplished if the three gen sets sitting in the middle of central park could do if there were put to use.

I'm sure being the heathen you are, you will ask for forgiveness when you play weekend Christian.
Is that a board game? Weekend Christian?

I'm sure being the heathen you are, you will ask for forgiveness when you play weekend Christian.

send your donation to: The Salvation Army Disaster Relief Hurricane Sandy Relief PO BOX 1959 Atlanta, GA 30301
On 11/5/2012 3:53 PM, NotMe wrote:

It would be interesting if apartment buildings had a built in outside connection to hook up a trailer mounted genset. ^_^
TDD
Them, and gas stations?