Donating to NYC

Page 3 of 6

<stuff snipped>

Thanks. Sadly Stormie's not alone in wanting to help by sending "stuff." There is, however, a difference between meaning well and doing well. Sending money enables charitable groups to operate as efficiently as possible, a critical factor in post-disaster cleanup efforts.
If I woke up and found myself a locksmith in NYS too poor to send a $20 check to the Red Cross, the SA or some other group, I would be looking for ways to promote my business. I'd start by writing articles for local newspapers, studying new products I could sell like electronic locks that key off your cellphone, or some other niche product or service I could specialize in. I certainly would NOT spend hours, days or weeks of my time on Usenet complaining how poor I was and how it was someone else's fault. I especially *wouldn't* consider myself a political or any other kind of expert if it was so apparent that I wasn't good enough at my chosen profession to be able to make a living.
-- Bobby G.
There is a way to donate stuff. Give to your local charities. I mean really, does your contribution have to go to the exact person you want?
You've got a good point of view. Just seemed like the NYC people were suffering greatly. Of course, they "could" have bought stuff before hand, if they had chosen to.
There is a way to donate stuff. Give to your local charities. I mean really, does your contribution have to go to the exact person you want?

Give money to the Red Cross or the Salvation Army. If you can't then donate goods to the local places. How hard is that to understand?
Found this about donations,
https://www.facebook.com/EmilysHatsForHopeInitiative
I spent several minutes on the site, but can't find adress for shipping.
No adress, no ship. Bummer.
Found this about donations,
https://www.facebook.com/EmilysHatsForHopeInitiative
On Wed, 7 Nov 2012 18:51:03 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Nice excuse. You do realize what you pay for shipping would buy ten times as much if it's bought by a charity in the area don't you?
Besides, you posted a day or two ago that your Mormon church is handing out food to people in need in that area. Do you know how to donate to your own church ?????

Just go to Palmyra and see Joseph Smith.
Check out your local fire department. One I know of locally has taken trucks downstate with donated items, such as blankets, diapers, flashlights,batteries.

In Stormin's case, yes. If he can't get their name and address he doesn't have to give anything and he can still tell himself he had good intentions.
He also can help out his sick, elderly parents because he is broke, but he can pay people to mow his lawn and change his tire. And yet, he calls himself a survivalist. A survivalist that can't change his tire.

A self-respecting survivalist in his financial situation should be eating raccoons and squirrels around his trailer rather than SlimFast. He can make fur coats and hats with those critters. The animal fat can be used for makeshift oil lamp with a spoon and a wick.

Here is a very good Canadian website for makeshift survival animal traps. Stormin can eat raccoons, wear coon fur coats, coon hats and coon moccasins, and burn coon oil lamps year round without any money: http://www.survivalbill.ca/wordpress/?cat=8
*** snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Well think about this first!
Wind does not make the existing food in people's homes suddenly disappear! Nor does an earthquake. All the food people had there before the storm is still there. (Canned and dry goods.)
Just refrigerated or frozen food would go bad, but no point in sending that as it will go bad if they still do not have electricity.
Most helpful would be flashlights, hand operated can openers, batteries, and camping cook stoves / fuel.
Also send along instructions to NOT use those cooking stoves in their high rise apartments! Maybe set up several of these outside these buildings for everybody to use.
Right..... set up cook stoves for everyone to use. You stuck in the sixties free love generation?
Well think about this first!
Wind does not make the existing food in people's homes suddenly disappear! Nor does an earthquake. All the food people had there before the storm is still there. (Canned and dry goods.)
Just refrigerated or frozen food would go bad, but no point in sending that as it will go bad if they still do not have electricity.
Most helpful would be flashlights, hand operated can openers, batteries, and camping cook stoves / fuel.
Also send along instructions to NOT use those cooking stoves in their high rise apartments! Maybe set up several of these outside these buildings for everybody to use.
I heard that on the radio, the wild dogs killed the boy. He survived the fall.
============================U.S. MARINE ASSAULTS AFRICAN IMMIGRANT AND STEALS HIS LUNCH! 08/19/08 | Unknown
I got this funny story in a chain mail: A biker is riding by the zoo, when he sees a little girl leaning into the lion's cage. Suddenly, the lion grabs her by the cuff of her jacket and tries to pull her inside to slaughter her, under the eyes of her screaming parents. The biker jumps off his bike, runs to the cage and hits the lion square on the nose with a powerful punch. Whimpering from the pain the lion jumps back letting go of the girl, and the biker brings her to her terrified parents, who thank him endlessly. A New York Times reporter has watched the whole event. The reporter addressing the biker says, "Sir, this was the most gallant and brave thing I saw a man do in my whole life." The biker replies, "Why, it was nothing, really, the lion was behind bars. I just saw this little kid in danger, and acted as I felt right." The reporter says, "Well, I'll make sure this won't go unnoticed. I'm a journalist from the New York Times, you know, and tomorrow's paper will have this story on the front page... So, what do you do for a living and what political affiliation do you have?'" The biker replies, "I'm a U.S. Marine, and I'm a Republican." The journalist leaves. The following morning the biker buys The New York Times to see if it indeed brings news of his actions, and reads, on front page: U.S. MARINE ASSAULTS AFRICAN IMMIGRANT AND STEALS HIS LUNCH!
I've always thought that the modern world should be as dangerous as possible. None of this namby-pamby safety crap. Let the stupid die, then adults who fail to protect their children and keep them safe would pay the price by losing them to the Grim Reaper. Dead stupid people don't reproduce. I read a heartbreaking story about a woman who put her two year old son on a guard rail at a zoo and the child slipped, falling into a pack of African painted dogs. It's not sure if the fall killed the child or the pack of dogs that descended upon the kid. The mother of the unfortunate child did something extremely stupid and it has not been determined if ant criminal charges will be brought against her yet. I get very angry when I hear of children being hurt or killed due to the stupidity of adults. O_o
TDD

Dry goods? That box of pasta isn't so dry after the flood.
They would have to have a way to clean the lip of the can before they sank a can opener into it and introduced god knows what into the food. It can be done, but only if you have what you need on hand and it's not in the flood itself.
Most cans are pop-tops these days. No need for a can-opener and nothing goes inside the can when you open it. The hurricane didn't knock anybody back into the twentieth century.
On 11-05-2012 19:22, snipped-for-privacy@brainchampagne.com wrote:

You need to visit a grocery store more often.

If there is anything on the lid, some percentage of it _may_ fall inside. And whatever is around the edge threatens the food.
--
Wes Groleau

Words of the Wild Wes
Winston_Smith wrote:

You leave dry Pasta in boxes?

Bleach.
On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 19:40:45 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Winston isnt the sharpest knife in the putty knife section.
Gunner
-- "