Donating to NYC

Page 1 of 6
The folks in NYC must need a LOT of stuff like food, matches, camping fuel, etc. Is there a process to donate supplies, which will be given to needy folks, with minimum of theft, or diversion?
I looked at the Salvation Army web site, but they do not adress this question. I have no cash to donate, but I could ship some canned goods, flashlights and batteries, shampoo, etc.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

How about a small cash donation to the DAV? They have a lot of Disabled Veterans who lost homes and possesions due to Sandy.
http://donate.dav.org/site/Donation2?idb=0&df_id 82&1682.donation=form1
With the Oh Bomb Us economy, I'm a bit too much in debt. I'd rather donate goods.
How about a small cash donation to the DAV? They have a lot of Disabled Veterans who lost homes and possesions due to Sandy.
http://donate.dav.org/site/Donation2?idb=0&df_id 82&1682.donation=form1
Bob F wrote:

WTF does this crap have to do with helping the DAV help Veterans? Are you too stupid to give them $5?
On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 13:21:16 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

I just sent em $20. Best I could do.
Im ambivalent about the DAV, but they seem to get money passed along well enough
Gunner
-- "
Gunner wrote:

Thank you, on behalf of those Disabled Veterans. Not all of them can get help from the VA when they need it. The DAV does what it can to help. They also buy the large vans used to transport veternas to appointments at VA hospitals.
On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 17:18:28 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Im wary of them..as Ive shopped in many many of their stores and was not..not impressed by their setup, their pricing or their staffs.
Not run or operated by veterans or family from what I can see....least around this part of California.
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgidu89
http://www.military-money-matters.com/charities-ratings.html#axzz2BOP97rxI
http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/national/veterans-and-military/disabled-american-veterans-in-cold-spring-ky-1692
Seems my gut instinct was right.....based on the above reviews.
I also sent $20 to St. Vincent de Paul, which maxed out my ability to contribute for a week or two.. They are also iffy..but my experience with them is pretty good in a number of stores and via stories related to me by people helped by them.
Gunner
-- "
Gunner wrote:

http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/national/veterans-and-military/disabled-american-veterans-in-cold-spring-ky-1692
I've never seen a thrift store owned by a Veteran's group, but there are a lot of thrift stores who claim to donate a percentage of the profits to a Veteran or other non profit group. They think people will pay more, because it goes to some non profit group. In some cases, they make that non profit look bad by the way they run the business.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

That was a general suggestion, to others who can help.

The mormon rather blame others for his failures, much easier than to take on responsibility & accountability. He can't walk the talk.

ROFLMAO!!! Look at the Leftwinger blaming the Democrat fuckups on Republicans.
Democraps controlled Congress since Jan 3, 2007...and it was the the Republicans who were the bad people????
LAUGH LAUGH LAUGH!!!
Gunner
-- "

ALL my sigs tell the truth, its just that you Far Leftwing Extremist Fringe Kooks would rather avoid the truth in many cases.
Gunner
1. Lie 2. Repeat the lie as many times as possible 3. Have as many people repeat the lie as often as possible 4. Eventually, the uninformed believe the lie 5. The lie will then be made into some form oflaw 6. Then everyone must conform to the lie
On 11/12/12 06:31, Gunner wrote:

but the poaster doesn't

Is that anything like a *toaster* ?
On 11/12/12 16:01, PeterD wrote:

More like the product a toaster produces.

Indeed But the toaster is more intelligent.
terryc wrote:

'Poaster'?
On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 00:05:46 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Terry is British, or Aussie or some other similar uneducated dreck.
1. Lie 2. Repeat the lie as many times as possible 3. Have as many people repeat the lie as often as possible 4. Eventually, the uninformed believe the lie 5. The lie will then be made into some form oflaw 6. Then everyone must conform to the lie

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=poaster
misanthrope wrote:

I thought the 'poachster' was a put on until I found the Tefal Toast n Egg:
http://www.tefal.co.uk/All+Products/Breakfast/Toasters/Products/Toast+n+Egg /
Fortunately, it seems to be an UK/Australia item. Wonder if it has an auxilliary Vegemite/Marmite spreader?