Don't upset the inspector

Page 1 of 3
A friend who shall remain nameless called. He lives in the county in a different state. He launched into a small addition with no permit. He has it framed and dried in. He received a letter from the county ordering him to cease and desist. He called wondering what they can do to him if he just keeps going.
I didn't really have an answer. I did tell him that if there was a need for the electric company to do any work on the service, they would not perform without permit approval. Other than that, what can they do? This guy is a bit of a renegade. I explained about the yes, sir/no,sir - gee, I'm sorry approach. He's headed a bit more along the my castle, my kingdom, damn the torpedoes approach.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG wrote:

Other than fines in addition to costs for the permits they could refuse COO or even order the property put back in its original state. Being the cease and desist order is issued, the question of his being outside a jurisdiction requiring permits is almost certainly settled against him. At this point its only how onerous the particular regulations are and how punitive they care to be assuming he chooses not to cooperate.
Norminn wrote: ...

Undoubtedly, eventually it could lead to that in virtually an jurisdiction if the recipient were stubborn enough. Just how far one could push it would depend entirely upon the locals--if they've gone far enough to issue the order, it would be unwise to ignore it, certainly.
The town I lived in didn't have an inspector.
But, you still had to goto city hall, and get a permit for any work around the house.
Had nothing to do with getting it right... it was just "legal extortion".
<rj>

Extortion is extortion. You pay the money or you suffer the consequences. It's a very simple concept.
Steve

I'm curious what a permit would cost him. Any idea?
permit fees in my area are based on the cost of the remodel. We did a complete foundation replacement, a 12x22 extension/room addition, and new sewer lines and the permit was about $400.
steve

There are, or course, a few putzes for inspectors, but often the inspectee makes them that way. Follow the code, do what he wants, things go smooth. Don't curse or demean him or his position or the laws he has to uphold no matter how dumb you think they are.
We have a state licensing inspector/examiner with a reputation for being a hard assed p***k. I think he is a heck of a nice guy. When I had to call him to have some people tested in a short time frame, I had my concerns. When he answered the phone, my first words were "I need your help". The man helped considerably, gave me all the time I needed and we got the job done.

Dennis Rader - the BTK killer - worked in permit enforcement. Described as an over-zealous asshole.

the next. Some places, it's a flat fee. Other places, the fee is based on the value of the work.
--
Regards,

I'm asking because (as you may have guessed) I'm wondering if the cost of non-compliance will make the cost of non-compliance look like peanuts in comparison. I suspect it doesn't matter to the maverick in question, though.

But in the non-compliance situations, the fees involved are always peanuts compared to fines, costs of tearing things down, attorney's fees if one decides to dig their heels in and fight city hall, etc. etc.etc.

Right. I'm wondering if the OP had this discussion with his friend.

In our town where I work, the homeowner fee is 1% of value. The commercial/industrial rate is 3%.

The city limits expanded out to and around my Grandfather's house in the 1950's. The city notified him he would have to have an 'indoor' bathroom. He was happy with what he had and told the city off, in no uncertain terms.
He fought with them and then; eventually built the bathroom. It had all the current features, tub, sink, toilet, mirror. All the fancy stuff. He did not connect the plumbing to the city.
He returned to city hall and told the bastards: 'now make me hook is up'.
Eventually he did.
Oren wrote:

I did not know bastards work at city hall. Looks to me your granny was bastard. Imagine every one in the world acts like your granny, then what?

Gottcha granny..
Did you say: We are all human after all. No one is perfect. Are you? .
Oren wrote:

I am not. I never ran into a inhumane inspectors. They were always helpful and kind. Also I believe in what goes round comes around.

Fully agree. The OP seem to imply how 'hard headed' people can be when dealing with officials. I relayed an experience from observation.
I'm not that hard headed, knock on wood:)
Hear hear, most inspectors are professional and the work is demanding. Lots of paperwork and dealing with people with a bad attitude is not easy. There are strict guidlines that the inspector must follow but, if you look hard enough you can almost always find infractions. When the people I'm dealing with are co-operative I usually work with them to solve the problems and move on. There is plenty of work without having to return to a site.