don't turn that clock back

Page 1 of 2

that can damage the mechanism. turn off the power for an hour. savvy? I Remember Another Quagmire = IRAQ
stay da course? wrote:

So I presume you buy a new clock every spring? Must take a lot of shopping to find one showing the right time
Harry K

Of course not! He turns is off for 23 hours.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net () wrote in wrote:

Don't laugh. In the last place I overhauled the knob stud was broken off. That's exactly what I did. You know, clocks/timers, etc for appliances you can pretty much bank on 100 bucks.

Note that some manufacturers seemed to have learned.
The time setting knob on an electronic stove we used to have broke off. At the time, the only replacement was several hundred bucks for a new control unit.
Since then they've come up with a small "splice" plastic thingumie for about $3.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net wrote:

No need. 11 hours.

If digital, only a couple seconds around midnight.

He unplugs them when not in use. Saves power.
stay da course? wrote:

This thread has me wondering....
Next year, when the Sundays on which Daylight Saving Time changes are no longer the ones presently in use, will my old Windows98 computer know that, or will it mention that it just reset the clock by an hour....on the wrong Sundays? The changing of Sundays was decreed in 2005.
There's more than you need to know about DST here:
http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/b.html
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

chased into the problem yet. Consider this. the operating system- Win 98, ME, XP etc. has a set up on Control Panel that tells the system what time zone you are in and if it is time to transition to DST or back. If you use the built in time checker of the later OS versions or one of the manual ones that are available to set your time on demand it is obvious, if you really stop and consider it, that there is only one time standard that is transmitted and that is UTC time. You also know it as Greenwich Mean Time. Your set up in Control Panel puts in the correct offset to show the local time. How it stores the dates for DST is a question. It may very well be in BIOS. My guess is that that is where it is. Changing the dates in BIOS may be manual, or need a download, or could even be hard coded. Check with you manufacturer and good luck.
There is another area that has not gotten as much attention-VCRs. I have two VCRs that allow automatic time correction for DST transitions. I have no clue as to what will happen here. The older one made the appropriate change last night. The newer one that claims to sync into the time standards did not do its thing automatically. I set it manually this morning, but am waiting to see if its synchronizing feature kicks in and corrects the time ( I missed getting it right by about a minute.
Charlie
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Here in AZ we don't do that DST thing.
However, when we woke up Sunday morning, the newish clock-radio in the bedroom was an hour earlier than all the other clocks in the house. It has one of those auto-set features, plug it it and it knows what time it is. There appears to be no way to actually disable the auto time set stuff - had to use the button to switch time zones until I got the right time. Guess I'll have to do the same thing the other direction next spring.
Don't you just love electronics that think they are smarter than you are?
Jerry
jerry snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

If it was one of the "atomic clocks" you simply didn't set it to the right time zone.

No, but I love the ones that are just smart enough. My "atomic clock" and my PC are fine. My bedroom clock is still wrong because it is a PITA to set. ...exactly the opposite problem. ...not an issue because I can subtract "one" in my head, even at 5:00AM. ;-)
--
Keith

Let's be clear on this forward / backward thing. Traditional (analog) clocks / watches don't mind / care if you turn them forward or backward to set the time. Truth be told, many / most / some have a feature that uses your occasional forward / backward adjustments to fine tune it's time keeping mechanism.
This assumes they are NOT the type with fancy features such as "day / date". The fancy ones use a special wheel to advance the day / date wheel at / about midnight of each day. This cam wheel (like my girlfriend) doesn't like backward. The only option being to go forward 23 hours.
Now, let's move on.
says...

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

set them (the instructions for my grandfather clock warn not to set it forward).

...still don't know what this has to do with what I said.

That's it. Top post and move on... ;-)
--
Keith

I imagine sometime between now and the Spring Microsoft will address that issue with a patch to the OS. Now whether or not that patch will be backwards compatible to pre-XP versions of Windows is another question. I'd suggest emailing MS's tech support hobbits now and asking the question.
I would also recommend folks go to their computer manufacturer's website (or the motherboard company's website, if you built your own PC like I did - not to brag or anything) in the early part of 2007 and find the latest update of your computer's BIOS.
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

If your computer clock says 2007, then you do have a problem.
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 21:38:21 -0700, "stay da course?"

Damn, I aready changed my cock. Now what?
snipped-for-privacy@my.com wrote:

You changed your what??????????? Oh, you got a new rooster who knew the time!!! Got it.
I tried that. Now it blinks 12:00. Maybe if I turn it off for another hour?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.