Domestic hardwoods that weather well?

My hammock stretchers are thoroughly rotten and I have to make some replacements. Sure, it would probably be cheaper to buy a new hammock, but I am odd that way. Anyhow, I think that a hardwood would do better mechanically than PT or cedar. Are any sufficiently weather proof to be left outside? Oak, hickory, or what? Mahogany isn't all that expensive. Is is strong enough for this application?

Reply to
Toller

Teak.

Reply to
NorMinn

Cypress--the kind that grows "knees" in the bayous here. zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

Bois 'D Arc. Good luck finding a saw mill that will cut it. The wood starts out a bright ugly yellow, but it will quickly weather to tan (and I assume it will eventually turn gray like everything else)

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob