Dollar paint brush

I hate cleaning paint brushes, especially when I use an oil based paint. I also dislike cheap brushes as they don't do a very good job. I had to stain and put a couple of coats of polyurethane on my new patio door. I used a disposable foam brush for the stain and planned to for the poly. I was in WalMart and saw the brush rack with 1" bushes for a dollar. With low expectations, I figured I give it a try. Damn, it worked very well for the job at hand. Having spent thousands of dollars on the door, tossing a 1" brush when done is not so bad.
On 5/3/2015 11:12 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I actually found that the cheap brushed from Big Lots worked pretty well. They are camo'd to look like the expensive ones from Purdy and others.
On 05/03/2015 10:12 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If a particular one happens to work reasonably well, you're lucky ime...normally they'll be terrible at shedding bristles leaving them in the finish to have to dig out and then try to reflood an area -- which inevitably leaves even more...
They're not worth the risk for anything other than a throwaway job that's worth no more than the brush imo; the hassle of something like the above is not worth the few bucks or little bit of time it takes to clean.
I'm using brushes of my grandfather's still that I remember some of which specifically as a kid. They'd be a minimum of 60 yr old by now as he passed in '57. A couple of the real badger and ox hair are almost priceless to try to replace any more.

I picked up an assortment of brushes on sale at Canadian Tire a few months ago. 10 piece set, 2 each of 1/2, 1, 1 1/2,, 2, and 2 1/2" Flagged bristles and tipped ends - for $7.77 Canadian. They make as good a job as any $30 brush with solvent based poly, water based poly, and latex paint that I have used them on so far, and if I have to throw one out it doesn't hurt too much.. I'd almost be afraid to use a genuine badger brush for fear I would ruin it and have to throw it out!!!
On 05/04/2015 3:42 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That's good if they flow and don't shed....it's the latter that has almost inevitably got me on the cheapies to the point I no longer bother to try. Maybe there's a better batch being generally available now...

the one brush I used for all 3 projects has yet to loose a single bristle. I've been very impressed.
On 5/4/2015 2:25 PM, dpb wrote:

I was afraid of exactly that and was surprised that it worked so well. Not a single bristle lost.

I don't deserve a brush that good. I'd have ruined it after a couple of uses.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Pay someone?
On Thu, 14 May 2015 02:07:16 +0000 (UTC), Horace LaBadie

A professional painter I know said he never pays more than $7 for a paintbrush for oil paint - and it costs more to clean than to replace..
On Wed, 13 May 2015 22:24:27 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I've got Purdy hog bristle brushes that are 30 years old and still good. Cost about 15 bucks when I bought them. A pro should know how to clean oil brushes almost for free.
On Thu, 14 May 2015 15:38:13 -0500, Vic Smith

It was the time involved at the chargeout rate.