doggie doors

Page 2 of 2

On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 14:58:38 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Yeah, I could end up doing that if it's needed; there's space for it where the current doggie door is.
Anyone know where to get the door material from? I could make a door if I knew where to get sheets of the clear rubber stuff from - couple of flaps of that, a little metal trim on the bottom, some kind of brush trim, magnets, wood frame etc.
I built a 20x20' kennel on the back of the house where the house doggie door comes out; forming part of the back wall of the kennel is an old well shed that we don't use for anything, so it might make a nice outside covered space for the dogs. I could run power to it, put a heat lamp in etc., but I don't fancy spending another $100 on another door :-)
cheers
Jules
Meanwhile, the OP has yet to return to this discussion, unless he/she has a second identity.

Spoilsport!

You can buy the clear plastic flaps at pet stores, as replacements.
my minature poodle size costs around 20 bucks
In wrote:

drsfostersmith.com is a good source.

your probably better off buying a door assembly, they seal pretty good and include magnets to help the sealing
On 7/5/2010 1:11 PM nefletch spake thus:

Not the answer you wanted; the door I'm describing is even more expensive ($400). I installed one of these for a client. It's an electric door activated by a magnetic collar on the pet. Opens a clear acrylic panel vertically to let the pet in or out. Keeps the weather pretty much out. Pretty cool solution, but not cheap.
http://www.moorepet.com/Solo-Fully-Automatic-Opening-Pet-Door-s/74.htm

my concern if you live where extreme weather could endager your pet a door malfunction could kill them.
Thats why I have 2 seperate doggie doors, poodles are small and could freeze to death in winter sometimes zero degrees.
Its not a issue currently with hoighs in the 90s.
my dogs are smart they mostly stay indoors in the AC when its hot like this:)
On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 04:37:08 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Have you tested what happens if one door sticks? One of our dogs is intelligent about some things and completely stupid about others - I could imagine her just standing outside the stuck door until she froze, even if the other one was working!
cheers
Jules