doggie doors

On 7/5/2010 1:11 PM nefletch spake thus:

Not the answer you wanted; the door I'm describing is even more expensive ($400). I installed one of these for a client. It's an electric door activated by a magnetic collar on the pet. Opens a clear acrylic panel vertically to let the pet in or out. Keeps the weather pretty much out. Pretty cool solution, but not cheap.

David Nebenzahl

my concern if you live where extreme weather could endager your pet a door malfunction could kill them.

Thats why I have 2 seperate doggie doors, poodles are small and could freeze to death in winter sometimes zero degrees.

Its not a issue currently with hoighs in the 90s.

my dogs are smart they mostly stay indoors in the AC when its hot like this:)

Reply to
hallerb

Have you tested what happens if one door sticks? One of our dogs is intelligent about some things and completely stupid about others - I could imagine her just standing outside the stuck door until she froze, even if the other one was working!

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Yeah, I could end up doing that if it's needed; there's space for it where the current doggie door is.

Anyone know where to get the door material from? I could make a door if I knew where to get sheets of the clear rubber stuff from - couple of flaps of that, a little metal trim on the bottom, some kind of brush trim, magnets, wood frame etc.

I built a 20x20' kennel on the back of the house where the house doggie door comes out; forming part of the back wall of the kennel is an old well shed that we don't use for anything, so it might make a nice outside covered space for the dogs. I could run power to it, put a heat lamp in etc., but I don't fancy spending another $100 on another door :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Meanwhile, the OP has yet to return to this discussion, unless he/she has a second identity.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Spoilsport!

Reply to
hrhofmann

You can buy the clear plastic flaps at pet stores, as replacements.

my minature poodle size costs around 20 bucks

Reply to
hallerb

drsfostersmith.com is a good source.

Reply to
Twayne

your probably better off buying a door assembly, they seal pretty good and include magnets to help the sealing

Reply to
hallerb