Doggie Door - sheet vinyl

I need to make a Doggie Door from ~1/4 " thick sheet vinyl, hinges, etc.

Where might I find a small quantity (2-4 ' sq.) of sheet vinyl? Ran a search on 2 local big boxes and got diddly-squat. I am in Saint Louis, MO.

Thx, Puddin'

"Well, there's two trains runnin'. Ain't neither one goin' my way. One run at midnight, the other run just before day." - from "Still A Fool", Muddy Waters, maybe 1949

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Got a yellow pages phone book? Look under "plastic".

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I couldn't find anything when I looked last year. I ended up buying a set of clear auto floor mats at Target, K-mart, or Menards -- I don't recall which. It took a few minutes to slice off the carpet spikes, but that wasn't a big deal. They've held up well.

If you need bigger pieces, you might want to try an online custom auto/truck floor mat store. They're likely to have stock which would work for you.

Reply to
Mike Paulsen

a regular doggie door will seal better and replacement flaps are always available.

Reply to
hallerb

I tried that. A large name brand door was ~$80.00 and lasted ~6 months. The seal only worked when it was relatively warm and calm. Replacement flaps weren't stocked locally and the frame was starting to wear out. It might have faired better if I didn't have labs charging through it dozens of times a day. I'm sure they make more expensive doors which function better, but that gets too pricey.

Reply to
Mike Paulsen

go to a flooring place, they will probably give you scraps of lineoleum.

Reply to
Bob M.

Saw a Far Side cartoon with that very scenario. Large dog, tongue hanging out, running full speed for the doggie-door. Inside, the door was barricaded shut with a 2x4. In the corner was a cat, paws over its mouth to keep from laughing out loud.

Reply to
HeyBub

ITS CRITICAL to buy a door a good bit larger than the user. otherwise the flap must bend too much and fails prematurely.

we got a slightly larger dog and I was always replacing flaps which would break on the top.

installed larger door flap now 3 years old:)

Reply to
hallerb

on 11/8/2007 7:50 PM Puddin' Man said the following:

That's a pretty large door. No burglars where you live? How about this:

willshak

Just a liberal material estimate ...

I've had a medium Johnson doggie door for about 20 years. One time a cat got in, knocked some stuff off a shelf ...

Took a peek yesterday. I'd rather build my own flaps for the old Johnson frame.

"Well, there's two trains runnin'. Ain't neither one goin' my way. One run at midnight, the other run just before day." - from "Still A Fool", Muddy Waters, maybe 1949

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Toenail clipper?

Thanks. You're the 2nd person I've heard of using carmats.

Seems the vinyl'd be a bit too thin ...

Yeah, but could I specify thickness? Maybe I'll take a peek ...

Puddin'

"Well, there's two trains runnin'. Ain't neither one goin' my way. One run at midnight, the other run just before day." - from "Still A Fool", Muddy Waters, maybe 1949

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Especially in cold weather when the vinyl is less flexible.

Good advice.

Good move.

Talked with a guy had a 150 lb Great Dane the other day. I'm betting he don't got noooooo doggie door (unless he had a custom "big" (i.e. storm) door made). :-)

"Well, there's two trains runnin'. Ain't neither one goin' my way. One run at midnight, the other run just before day." - from "Still A Fool", Muddy Waters, maybe 1949

Reply to
Puddin' Man

neighbors kids would come over to play with our dogs, usually by climbing 6 foot chain link fence. I had told them and their parents they might fall and get hurt.

one day I came home and found the 3 kids all under 6 running thru our house.

Really I didnt care, but feared for their safety, one never knows they could of sneaked in a child molesters home.

So I said I wasnt mad but they should go home and tell their parents what they did it was unsafe.

those kids are now getting ready or in college time does fly.

I was always concerned about a raccoon getting in but I guess the dogs keep them out of the yard.

Reply to
hallerb

I pet sit a friends black lab 145 pounds, he squeezes thru our medium dog door just fine.

Reply to
hallerb

It's a short drive for me but I love the folks at Tap Plastics. I believe they offer mail order service too.

The folks in their Fremont, CA store, know their stuff and are very helpful. I've used them many times and recommend them highly (with the caveat that I've never had cause to use their mail order services).

My only affiliation with the company is in my role as a highly satisfied customer.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

I took a peek, didn't see anything like 1/4 " sheet vinyl.

"Well, there's two trains runnin'. Ain't neither one goin' my way. One run at midnight, the other run just before day." - from "Still A Fool", Muddy Waters, maybe 1949

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Well, if you mean PVC:

But, in my experience, they're really good at helping you choose the best (plastic) material for a given task. So it may be worth a call anyway.

They're also generous with good advice on how to cut, drill, machine, glue and perform other operations with the different materials. I learn something every time I visit their store.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar