Dog Whistles

Where can I get a dog whistle loud enough to discourage a dog from barking but not loud enough o cause any damage to its ears?

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

The whistle is as likely to make them bark more as to stop it.

Reply to
gfretwell

Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney posted for all of us...

I don't think a dog whistle will solve your problem.

I presume this is a neighbors dog. A dog is only as good as the training it's received. Is this at night with low temps? Talk to the neighbor. Find out about dog laws in your area. If they have an animal control officer. Or the humane shelters. Don't take it out on the dog. I had dogs and never received complaints about barking. They did it inside when someone or a critter was outside.

Reply to
Tekkie®

and if it is someone else's dog, maybe the more barking is what it will take for them to deal with the problem.

Reply to
taxed and spent

If people put up with any barking from their dog, a lot more won't bother them. I suspect they might not even be home when this happens.

Reply to
gfretwell

Sam E

Tape recorder? Loud speaker? Gently worded letter?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Those pinging crystals were everywhere in the late 60s. I imagine the navy surplused thousands of them. I have seen them as cheap as $5. Guys used them as tweeters or the basis for a bad assed ultrasonic cleaner using an old SS kitchen sink or even a stock tank. (wash an entire VW or Harley) engine They were pretty much immune to most solvents. IBM had some giant power transistors that we used for motor controllers in tape drives and a 555 timer would kick them off.,

Reply to
gfretwell

Back in the 70's and early 80's there was a "Doggy Phaser" made by some enterprising soul. It was like one of the early ultrasonic remote controls on steroids. I had one. I was powered by a 9v battery and its intended use was to stop a charging dog in its tracks.

Like chemical Mace, it worked. Sometimes.

Some dogs would pause and then go back to whatever they wanted to do. Some really were affected by it. Had a charging boxer one day that decided he wanted a piece of me after coming around the corner unleashed. Gave him a long blast of the thing (inaudible to humans) and he looked like I'd hit him in the head with a baseball bat. Stopped dead in his tracks, shook his head and turned tail and went back from whence he came.

Not reliable enough for moi.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

barking but not loud enough o cause any damage to its ears?

Wow! Thanks a lot, Sam!!! That's a great story!! I could not stop reading until the very end. Audio is good too, but reading it let's you use your imagination. Unbelievably great story. Thanks again!!!

"Leo Laporte: This is Security Now! with Steve Gibson, Special Christmas Holiday Episode 281 for December 30, 2010: The Portable Dog Killer....."

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

barking but not loud enough o cause any damage to its ears?

- Wow! Thanks a lot, Sam!!! That's a great story!! I could not stop reading until the very end. Audio is good too, but reading it let's you use your imagination. Unbelievably great story. Thanks again!!!

-

-

- "Leo Laporte: This is Security Now! with Steve Gibson, Special Christmas Holiday Episode 281 for December 30, 2010: The Portable Dog Killer....."

-

I had to tell you thanks again for that. I listened to it again.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Per snipped-for-privacy@aol.com:

I learned early on that it's mostly futile to complain about a barking dog. If the barking was bothering the owner, they'd do something.... since it's not bothering them they just think the complainer is being unreasonable.

When I was living in Hawaii there was an article in the local paper about some guy running into a person's yard and stabbing their dog to death with two hand scythes - one in each hand.

The owners were quoted as saying something like "Poor old Rufus, he never hurt anybody....He'd *Bark* at anything and everything, but he never hurt anybody.".

Except maybe the guy working midnight shift that died in an car crash because he hadn't had any sleep for a week....

Rot In Hell Rufus....

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per Stormin Mormon:

My late brother thought there would be a niche for a dog hit service.

"Murder Incorporated", only for dogs...

Call the number, transfer the cash, couple paisanos drive up and get out of as car carrying violin cases....

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 09:21:25 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote in

I read somewhere on one of these NGs about a guy who had a neighbor barking dog at night problem. He advised to get some rat poison, put it in a ball of ground beef, and toss it into the dogs yard late at night. He advised NOT to do it if you had complained to the neighbor about the dog.

I don't know if he was serious or not.

Reply to
CRNG

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 09:21:25 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote in

+1 on that.
Reply to
CRNG