dog tunneling under chain link fence

Page 2 of 5

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid says...

Easily trained to be a pussy cat.
--
Keith

says...

Every owner of a pit bull euthanized after attacking another pet or person SWEARS that their little pooky bear was an angel until the incident happened.
People that don't believe in breed-specific behaviors have not owned very many dogs. Humans have spent hundreds (or in a few cases thousands) of years selectively breeding to get certain attributes from each breed. Do you actually think that physical appearance is the only outcome of that?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

...and millions never attack so much as a fly.

Have you ever heard of training a pet? I guess not, your momma failed.
--
Keith

Ah, the professional dog owner argument. Sure, I would have no problem with legislation that limited pit bull ownership to those who took classes both for the owner and with their dog and required that both pass an examination of aptitude after same.
Of course when bad things happened under those conditions I would expect the owner to be jailed for reckless endangerment since they had obviously cheated or produced fraudulent proof of having taken the classes (since no one that had taken the classes could possibly have an incident right?).
The current REAL problem is that any ordinary asshole can acquire these dogs and not all of them are going to spend the time and effort to provide anything beyond rudimentary training.
Is it your position that when Joe Average acquires and does NOT train his dog extensively that the dog's danger to society is the same regardless of breed? That breed doesn't enter into the equation at all?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Nope, not me. Don't even own a dog currently. I've met quite a few very friendly Pit Bulls, and particularly Rotties. It *can* be done. Just don't torture the thing and you're a long way down the right road.

I'm against any legislation that singles out a particular breed. It won't work for the same reason that laws against "designer drugs" don't.

I'd have no problem with that for any dog that seriously injures someone.

Assholes can drive cars too.

No, it's my position that if the dog (any breed) is dangerous, the owner be held responsible.

Correct. The dog cannot be responsible, rather the owner/ If insurance companies want to limit breeds they'll insure, I really don't have much to say though. Contract, and all...
--
Keith

People that believe certain breeds are overtly dangerous do NOT take the position that these breeds walk around 100% of the time snarling and snapping at things (that would actually make them easier to outlaw).
What IS true is that these breeds can be sweet, obedient pets for years and then without obvious provocation attack a person or other animal. Compounding that is the fact that they are not easily subdued. There are many attack stories where neighbors with baseball bats or similar were not able to get these dogs to release their hold. Policemen have often had to put multiple rounds into these dogs before they go down. The canine jaw is one of the most powerful in nature and these dogs have much more powerful jaws than your average lab or shepard.

Non-sequitor. Laws concerning drugs have nothing to do with the issue.

And when certain breeds are known time and again to be involved in these cases the legislators are just supposed to sit back and act AFTER every incident?

And driving cars is heavily regulated. Thanks for making my point.

But only and always after the fact, right?

This isn't about holding the dog responsible. Municipalities restrict the ownership of more types of animals than those that are allowed, usually for far less serious reasons than safety. If one can be prevented from having a cow in their back yard just because of the smell then I see no reason not to disallow a dangerous breed of dog.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Good thing, I say.

Neither is rabid St. Benard. So? If they're out of control, shoot them, then charge the owners with criminal mischief, or some such.

There were *no* warnings? The dogs had never bitten nor snapped before? I'm sure you can find one example.

You really should try it again with an open mind. Let me go a little slower and see if that helps. You ban one breed and it morfs into another or you get mixes. Any such laws have more holes in them than a screen door.

Perhaps because they get attention of the press? Perhaps because they're the dog of choice of miscreants and beat to shit, either on purpose or because that's the only thing they understand? Perhaps because the moon _is_ made of green cheese. Your (lack of) stats is meaningless.

"Heavily regulated", my ass. Any 86 year-old can get a license and run down a dozen people. Assholes can still turn and kill on a moment's notice.

There is a difference between a private contract and a law. I can choose to go without insurance or find another company. I can't disobey the force of law.

All dogs are the same species. That species is also used for companionship and work. It's easy to write regulations banning horses or donkeys, not so with a subset of dogs that you think is inherently more dangerous than another.

Until the dog infringes on my rights it can stay. The cow has merely by existing. I bet you want to banish all blacks because statistically they cause more crime than non-blacks too.
--
Keith

Rick Brandt wrote:

And how often the parents of murderers get on the tube to tell the world what a sweety pie the killer is, then blame the "wrong crowd".

krw wrote:

Not from my observation. I know multiple people who have well trained pit bulls that seem like complete pussy cats and will lick you to death but as soon as they spot another dog the primitive traits kick in and they want to kill it.
clipped

No, I don't harm animals but I've read about enough people being killed by dogs that it is alarming to see owners who do not adequately secure their animals. Family pets can bite if they are injured, threatened or protecting their food. I grabbed a chicken bone from our pet once, and he didn't like it. My fault of course that he got food he should not have, but it is natural animal behavior that I was referring to.
I've also had the sad experience of having an injured cat crawl into the yard .. one with a large abcessed wound on it's head. Cat's don't belong on city streets. We kept ours indoors and took good care of him .. one of the sweetest animals I have known.
My daughter's dog came out of nowhere once when I bent over to tuck in and kiss my grandson goodnight .. she got between me and my grandson. She is very protective of her owners, and I don't know what it would take for her to attack, but she has also taken a protective stance to protect me. She is amazing, and people often stop to ask about her when we go for walks. The dog will get between me and the stranger, put her body against mine. Can't hear her growl but can feel it.
I used to visit a neighbor's Doberman to give it water. It spent years tied to a tree in the back yard, wearing a path around the tree. His water bowl was often empty. His food bowl was attracting rats.
Took care of an older lady in the hospital once who was mauled by her own Doberman. She was preparing it's food, went to put the bowl down and he mauled her arms badly. She lost a couple of fingers in the deal.
dkhedmo wrote:

Have the dog de-clawed. He can't dig with stubs.
People do that to cats all the time thereby saving their precious furniture at the expense of the cat's primary defensive and offensive weapon.
Dogs don't use their claws/nails for anything except digging. No harm there.

cruel is all i can say, you ever see what a animal goes thru after being declawed?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Agree, don't get the dog declawed.
I have a golden retriever who tried the same thing.
I initially buried some chickenwire, that didn't work he just tore it up.
A couple of inches of quickcrete under a layer of dirt directly under the fence solved the issue.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

Bullshit. A cat's primary weapon is it's rear claws. The fronts are merely a warning of things to come.

Again, bullshit. Our cats barely knew they were declawed. It was dune at the same time as neutering. By the time the anesthetic fully wore off they were running all over the house. No harm no foul. If the cat is in serious pain after declawing you took them to a butcher.
--
Keith

Cats without fronts have difficulty running away from trouble. They want to climb but can't so they get caught and beaten up a lot.

It's a barbaric practice. Turning a fine animal into a powder puff is an awful thing to do.

Cats without front claws become 'chew toys' for the dogs in the neighborhood. If they are indoor cats it's even worse. When they get out an indoor cat's instinct when threatened is to climb high and howl for rescue. A declawed cat can't climb well so they run and they keep running and are often never seen again. They are also subject to abuse from children and sadistic adults.
snipped-for-privacy@yo.pad says...

Hogwash! I've seen a cat rip a dog five times its size to shreds using only the back claws. A friend saw a cat take a fox, no front claws used in the disembowelment. Cats climb using their back claws and are perfectly able to climb with only backs.

Our cats have never been outside. They don't have a real interest in the outside, other than as a giant TV set.

Well, there you go. Eliminate the sadists.
krw wrote in message ...

Responsible cat owners don't let them outside, unless they have a kennel type cage to keep them in so they can sun themselves etc. Too many cats flattened in the streets, taken by dogs etc., then the owner is crying about the loss of "fluffy," as if it isn't their fault for subjecting the poor cat to all the hazards in the first place.
Cheri
<gserviceatinreachdotcom> says...

Finally some sense here, though you forgot disease. Cats spread feline leukemia like wildfire. Cats kept away from others and cars live a very long life (we had one tabby 22 years).
Just give the cats a toy box stuffed full of their favorite toys and play with them when they want.
--
Keith