dog tunneling under chain link fence

Any ideas to secure the bottom edges of the chain link fence? New-to-us dog tunneled under the brand new fence and bolted. The mister thinks we should have the fence guy come back and secure pipe at the bottom of the fence from post to post, clipping the fence to the pipe as along the top. I'm not convinced this will solve the tunneling problem, just slow the progress. I'm thinking some kind of metal edging that can be sunk

12" or so below ground, with a few inches remaining above to cover any gap between ground and fence. If we were to go with this metal edging idea, what kind of metal, and from whom do I procure it?

Any other ideas? For the time being, dog goes on a 40' tether on one of those screw in stakes, just to run around the $1200 "fenced in" yard. Grr...

-Karen-

Reply to
dkhedmo

add invisible fence around permiter, dog not wanting to get shocked will stay away from fence:(

I have a dog like that her name is puddle.

She a small poodle would jump a 4 foot wire mesh fence, leak out doors, run all thru neighborhood, chase cars, barking for no reason, got hit by car... we made new friends police:(

Finally solved it all by getting puddle a friend, susie.

companion solved all the troubles our dog was bored..........

might be easier to add a friend on a trial basis and see if that fixes things.

your local animal shelter would likely love a foster parent, and you can save a life and perhaps get your dog a friend while ending the behavior problem.

no long term cmmitment, its worth a try and is the cheapest solution.

Reply to
hallerb

So Barfie is digging his way out? Gee, he/she is surely a candidate for neutering or spaying. There are all kinds of solutions, but I'd look closely at the dog before turning your property into a stalag.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Actually if you secure a length of barbed wire on the ground or just below loosely attaching it to the fence every 3 feet so it sort of loops into your yard. The dog will rip his paws when he tries to dig. He will stop unless he's really stupid. I've also been told a rich dressing of garden lime along the fence will work. Again a really dumb dog will dig through lime like it isn't there.

Reply to
garyrichards

fence guy can run cable all along bottom of fence, but doggie can still dig under fence:(

Reply to
hallerb

our dog puddle was fixed but stiill got bored and ran the neighborhood.......

Reply to
hallerb

I'll second this- the dog is probably just bored and lonely. Have you tried more 'inside time' with the rest of the pack? They are pack animals. They see their humans as their pack. If the humans don't give them any face time, they feel rejected, and try to move on.

aem sends....

Reply to
<aemeijers

I have a white Golden Retriever/German Sheperd mix that does that. One day, I saw her digging so fast that about all you could see was a steady stream of dirt flying through the air with an occasional glimpse of white fur. I just stood there and watched her for a minute waiting to see if she would realize I was watching.

Finally, I yelled at her and she looked up at me and I looked at her and she looked at me. For a moment we just stood there looking at each other. Then finally, she took her nose and shoved two small scoups of dirt back in the hole and casually walked off as though nothing had happened.

I filled the hole with some dirt and big rocks and that&#39;s been the routine ever since. I think I have finally won the battle of wills now since she doesn&#39;t dig under the fence much anymore. That&#39;s one small step for man and one giant leap for mankind, I think. Now she digs in any bare spots she can find in the middle of the backyard and I dutifully fill them in whenever she does, but the problem with digging under the fence seems to have been solved.

Reply to
mgkelson

Of course all here is just recommendations without guarantee but I did do the following for a full size German Shepard.

I dug a very shallow trench maybe 2 to 3 inches deep about 10 inches wide from the fence back into the yard.

Then I affixed hog wire fence to the bottom of the existing fence ran it down to the ground and bent it back toward me to lay flat in the bottom of the shallow trench I made.

Then I covered the trench with the sod I took out, kept it watered so it would grow.

The dog tried to dig > Any ideas to secure the bottom edges of the chain link fence? New-to-us

Reply to
Fred Wilson

I built a dog run on the side of my garage and had the same problem. I solved it by putting a section of chainlink fence on the ground and covering it with a couple of inches of pea gravel. Not only did it stop her from digging it also keeps her from getting muddy. I rinse it down with the hose every once in a while and it works great. My dog run is 6&#39; wide and goes the entire length of the garage with a dog door going into a pen inside the garage. Not sure if this helps you, but this is how I solved a similar problem.

Reply to
jimmyDahGeek

Google says bury chicken wire to a depth of 12" below the fence.

Reply to
bowgus

Saw a similar one done with some old fencing. They laid it along the ground, secured it to the bottom of the installed fence, then watered down the soil and walked on it to push it down into the soil. That part didn&#39;t work as well as they would have liked, so they let one of the tree cutting crews dump their chewed-up wood stuff in the back yard. Took a day to spread it out. Idea was to keep the fence laying on the ground from being caught by the lawn mower.

After try> > Any other ideas? For the time being, dog goes on a 40&#39; tether on one of

Reply to
Michael B

Firstly, I agree that you might just pay more attention to the dog. Rather than just turning him out you should take him for a nice walk around the neighborhood. I would be good for both of you. After he eliminates then he can come into the house with you. Dogs are the most social of all animals and should not be just left alone for extended periods. I like the suggestion of adopting a playmate for your local shelter.

One fix that hasn&#39;t been mentioned is concrete blocks around the bottom of the fence. It&#39;s not a great idea but it&#39;s quick and effective. Another fix is to place one strand of barbed wire at or near ground level this may have been mentioned. The best suggestions seem to be to bury wire in the ground.

Reply to
Lawrence

I have never known a dog that wasnt really stupid.

There are only 3 real solutions.

  1. Pour concrete in the whole fenced in area.
  2. Cover all the ground with heavy steel sheets inside fence.
  3. Shoot the dog.

I&#39;d do #3 myself !!!!

Mans best friend is any animal that is NOT a dog !

Reply to
yomama

Might try burying a length of hardware cloth (mesh screening stuff) along the fence. Doggie might get down to it and give up. A hooked stake can be driven down, holding bottom of chainlink fencing and through the hardware cloth. Hardware cloth could be laid on top of ground to try it out. If the dog persists or goes around it, I would seriously consider trading him in. Animals that damage the home aren&#39;t pets, IMO.

Reply to
Norminn

Our dogs tunnel near the fence because my neighbor has dogs and they want to talk to each other. :-)

I haven&#39;t done anything yet, but for me, barbed wire it out of the question. I&#39;ve been thinking about laying some sort of bricks or railroad ties along the side of the fence. It seems like if I do that in certain areas, they just relocated and dig elsewhere. So, I might just do it all along the fence and see what happens...

Reply to
wiz561

Have the dog de-clawed. He can&#39;t dig with stubs.

People do that to cats all the time thereby saving their precious furniture at the expense of the cat&#39;s primary defensive and offensive weapon.

Dogs don&#39;t use their claws/nails for anything except digging. No harm there.

Reply to
HeyBub

Goldfish are pets. Dogs and cats are members of the family.

You wouldn&#39;t "trade-in" a toddler who left teeth-marks on the coffee table.

Damage to property is something you have to accept from a member of the family.

Reply to
HeyBub

cruel is all i can say, you ever see what a animal goes thru after being declawed?

Reply to
hallerb

Agree, don&#39;t get the dog declawed.

I have a golden retriever who tried the same thing.

I initially buried some chickenwire, that didn&#39;t work he just tore it up.

A couple of inches of quickcrete under a layer of dirt directly under the fence solved the issue.

Reply to
mike.goodman