dog tunneling under chain link fence

Page 1 of 5

Any ideas to secure the bottom edges of the chain link fence? New-to-us dog tunneled under the brand new fence and bolted. The mister thinks we should have the fence guy come back and secure pipe at the bottom of the fence from post to post, clipping the fence to the pipe as along the top. I'm not convinced this will solve the tunneling problem, just slow the progress. I'm thinking some kind of metal edging that can be sunk 12" or so below ground, with a few inches remaining above to cover any gap between ground and fence. If we were to go with this metal edging idea, what kind of metal, and from whom do I procure it?
Any other ideas? For the time being, dog goes on a 40' tether on one of those screw in stakes, just to run around the $1200 "fenced in" yard. Grr...
-Karen-
add invisible fence around permiter, dog not wanting to get shocked will stay away from fence:(
I have a dog like that her name is puddle.
She a small poodle would jump a 4 foot wire mesh fence, leak out doors, run all thru neighborhood, chase cars, barking for no reason, got hit by car... we made new friends police:(
Finally solved it all by getting puddle a friend, susie.
companion solved all the troubles our dog was bored..........
might be easier to add a friend on a trial basis and see if that fixes things.
your local animal shelter would likely love a foster parent, and you can save a life and perhaps get your dog a friend while ending the behavior problem.
no long term cmmitment, its worth a try and is the cheapest solution.

more 'inside time' with the rest of the pack? They are pack animals. They see their humans as their pack. If the humans don't give them any face time, they feel rejected, and try to move on.
aem sends....

So Barfie is digging his way out? Gee, he/she is surely a candidate for neutering or spaying. There are all kinds of solutions, but I'd look closely at the dog before turning your property into a stalag.

our dog puddle was fixed but stiill got bored and ran the neighborhood.......

loosely attaching it to the fence every 3 feet so it sort of loops into your yard. The dog will rip his paws when he tries to dig. He will stop unless he's really stupid. I've also been told a rich dressing of garden lime along the fence will work. Again a really dumb dog will dig through lime like it isn't there.
On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 14:59:11 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

I have never known a dog that wasnt really stupid.

There are only 3 real solutions. 1. Pour concrete in the whole fenced in area. 2. Cover all the ground with heavy steel sheets inside fence. 3. Shoot the dog.
I'd do #3 myself !!!!
Mans best friend is any animal that is NOT a dog !
fence guy can run cable all along bottom of fence, but doggie can still dig under fence:(
dkhedmo wrote:

I have a white Golden Retriever/German Sheperd mix that does that. One day, I saw her digging so fast that about all you could see was a steady stream of dirt flying through the air with an occasional glimpse of white fur. I just stood there and watched her for a minute waiting to see if she would realize I was watching.
Finally, I yelled at her and she looked up at me and I looked at her and she looked at me. For a moment we just stood there looking at each other. Then finally, she took her nose and shoved two small scoups of dirt back in the hole and casually walked off as though nothing had happened.
I filled the hole with some dirt and big rocks and that's been the routine ever since. I think I have finally won the battle of wills now since she doesn't dig under the fence much anymore. That's one small step for man and one giant leap for mankind, I think. Now she digs in any bare spots she can find in the middle of the backyard and I dutifully fill them in whenever she does, but the problem with digging under the fence seems to have been solved.
Of course all here is just recommendations without guarantee but I did do the following for a full size German Shepard.
I dug a very shallow trench maybe 2 to 3 inches deep about 10 inches wide from the fence back into the yard.
Then I affixed hog wire fence to the bottom of the existing fence ran it down to the ground and bent it back toward me to lay flat in the bottom of the shallow trench I made.
Then I covered the trench with the sod I took out, kept it watered so it would grow.
The dog tried to dig in three or four spots and gave up. Never tried to dig again other than a hole right through the solid core door. (An intruder got into the house and she was not going to have it.) Ripped the pocket right off the guy with some underwear. Nice thing about it, it was the pocket with his wallet. Very easy catch.
dkhedmo wrote:

I built a dog run on the side of my garage and had the same problem. I solved it by putting a section of chainlink fence on the ground and covering it with a couple of inches of pea gravel. Not only did it stop her from digging it also keeps her from getting muddy. I rinse it down with the hose every once in a while and it works great. My dog run is 6' wide and goes the entire length of the garage with a dog door going into a pen inside the garage. Not sure if this helps you, but this is how I solved a similar problem.
Saw a similar one done with some old fencing. They laid it along the ground, secured it to the bottom of the installed fence, then watered down the soil and walked on it to push it down into the soil. That part didn't work as well as they would have liked, so they let one of the tree cutting crews dump their chewed-up wood stuff in the back yard. Took a day to spread it out. Idea was to keep the fence laying on the ground from being caught by the lawn mower.
After trying to dig near the fence, that dog gave it up. Also kept there from being such a rut along the fence. But I do think you could encourage to dog to stay home with a friend or more house time.
JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gmail.com wrote:

dkhedmo wrote:

Google says bury chicken wire to a depth of 12" below the fence.
dkhedmo wrote:

Firstly, I agree that you might just pay more attention to the dog. Rather than just turning him out you should take him for a nice walk around the neighborhood. I would be good for both of you. After he eliminates then he can come into the house with you. Dogs are the most social of all animals and should not be just left alone for extended periods. I like the suggestion of adopting a playmate for your local shelter.
One fix that hasn't been mentioned is concrete blocks around the bottom of the fence. It's not a great idea but it's quick and effective. Another fix is to place one strand of barbed wire at or near ground level this may have been mentioned. The best suggestions seem to be to bury wire in the ground.
dkhedmo wrote:

Might try burying a length of hardware cloth (mesh screening stuff) along the fence. Doggie might get down to it and give up. A hooked stake can be driven down, holding bottom of chainlink fencing and through the hardware cloth. Hardware cloth could be laid on top of ground to try it out. If the dog persists or goes around it, I would seriously consider trading him in. Animals that damage the home aren't pets, IMO.
Our dogs tunnel near the fence because my neighbor has dogs and they want to talk to each other. :-)
I haven't done anything yet, but for me, barbed wire it out of the question. I've been thinking about laying some sort of bricks or railroad ties along the side of the fence. It seems like if I do that in certain areas, they just relocated and dig elsewhere. So, I might just do it all along the fence and see what happens...
Norminn wrote:

Goldfish are pets. Dogs and cats are members of the family.
You wouldn't "trade-in" a toddler who left teeth-marks on the coffee table.
Damage to property is something you have to accept from a member of the family.
HeyBub wrote:

expense of getting a yard looking nice, I wouldn't want anyone or anything to ruin it. I'm not fond of huge animals kept in environs not suited to them, and think pit bulls and rottweilers should be outlawed. Too many people who keep pets either for "protection" or an ego trip, and the animal ends up killing somebody because it isn't properly cared for or confined. Have a neighbor with a rottweiler/mastiff which has been cited for attacking one animal, since injured another, and the moronic owner cannot control it and doesn't bother to use a muzzle any longer. Another neighbor brought his pit bull over to introduce it to a second neighbor's pet and the pit ended up killing the other dog. Folks forget that dogs aren't that far removed from wild animals and still have animal instincts. Big darn difference between pets and family.

Bullshit. Dogs do as their owners do. A nasty dog was, one way or another, taught to be nasty. It's the people who are at fault.

Nonsense! Dogs were domesticated something like a million years ago. The resemble nothing of their wild cousins. Dogs *are* a part of the family, though also a possession.
I bet when you were a kid a dog bit you, after you kicked it.
--
Keith

krw wrote:

Nonsense! go read about the traits of a pit bull. "tendency to attack other dogs" is mentioned and that is a very primitive trait.