Dog problem

Page 3 of 5

Good neighbors don't need to be told about stuff like this. They notice and take care of it on their own. When I bought my present main residence in 1995, the next door neighbor mentioned in passing (and I'm sure without intent) that a certain piece of shrubbery on my side near their "sitting area" had a smell like piss at certain times. They were right, and had suffered with it for over 40 years without doing anything about it. I made it a priority to pull that bush and plant some nice red twig dogwoods in it's place. No other conversation about it ever took place. I did have to call that same neighbor at 12:30 am to tell them that their dog had been barking for over two hours. Being a good neighbor doesn't always GET you a good neighbor in return. I don't let that be my guide.
If you have to actually tell a neighbor that a stinking pile of dog crap bothers you, then you have to assume they aren't especially considerate by nature.
If none of this makes sense to you, your only option is to shoot something.

I had the same exact problem a few years back with a neighbor who had 2 large Dobermans and 3 miniatures so I can feel your pain (should I say odor). After trying to be neighborly and asking them to clean it up in a diplomatic way - which failed, I complained to the local board of health. Since my town only allows you the right to own 3 dogs, they were told to get rid of 2 of them. Since this was not an option for them, they sold the house and moved.

Wow!
Areason for the OP to find out his rights and their responsibilities in the first place, without making any complaints to the government.

Some day when the conditions are their worst, invite the neighbor over, and at an opportune time/place mention the problem - where he can smell it. If he's a good neighbor, that should do it. Otherwise, check with animal control. Where I live, it is illegal to not clean up after your dogs. I think it is considered an "animal cruelty" or animal health issue or something.
Bob
Bob F wrote:

To solution to pollution is dilution. My dog craps in a different place every day.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Corn man! Do the corn!!

<...>

Invite him and his other half over for a beer/coffee/snack at the edge of your garden on a hot day with a light breeze in your general direction. If he doesn't have a better half to embarrass him then you could always ask a 4-year old to join you - those little kids don't hold much back when it comes to cold hard facts ;-) [or in this case not so cold, not so hard facts]
I feel for you ... I've lived happily in my family home for 6 years in middle-aged suburbia, built a beautiful arbor/porch onto the house at the end of last summer and some f'r moves in over my rear fence with 3 barking mongrels and half a frat house that whine, whimper 24/7 and never go inside even to pee.
PS: I would invite him over to enjoy your poop-free yard for a few hours and maybe he'll see the light - just maybe.
PK

Very good idea. Unless it is strong on the patio, I would take him for a walk around your yard to show him your plantings. If you don't have anything interesting to look at, tell him about your planned plantings. When you're near his dog's place, you could perhaps talk about how you avoid this part of the yard, and even the patio sometimes.
Of course, I rarely get subtlety and sometimes when I think I've gotten something, I'm not sure and I just ignore it, so you might have to come right out and say the poop is a problem.

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 20:24:23 +0000, Dan_Musicant wrote:

Talk to your neighbor about it.
Are you actually in Berkeley? Berkeley municipal code states there should be no more than 4 dogs over age 6 months. If there are more adult dogs than that, they are required to have a kennel set-up which is approved by the humane society and there are set-back requirements for said kennels.
As per recent CA laws regarding dogs being kept/tethered outside, etc. the following may be helpful:

provide a shelter structure or other space for the dog ... > (f) be kept clean and maintained in a manner designed to insure the best possible sanitary conditions, e.g. excreta shall be removed from the shelter as often as necessary,
Good luck dealing with Berkeley bureaucracy, you'll need it...
Karen, who used to live in the East Bay and worked in Berkeley for many years
Dan_Musicant wrote:

:Are you actually in Berkeley? Berkeley municipal code states there :should be no more than 4 dogs over age 6 months. If there are more adult :dogs than that, they are required to have a kennel set-up which is :approved by the humane society and there are set-back requirements for :said kennels. : :As per recent CA laws regarding dogs being kept/tethered outside, etc. :the following may be helpful: : :> Section 10.04.140 Care requirements for dogs housed or left outdoors on private premises. : :> C. Shelter. If a dog is housed or left outdoors, its owner/guardian shall provide a shelter structure or other space for the dog ... > (f) be kept clean and maintained in a manner designed to insure the :best possible sanitary conditions, e.g. excreta shall be removed from :the shelter as often as necessary, : : :Good luck dealing with Berkeley bureaucracy, you'll need it... : :Karen, who used to live in the East Bay and worked in Berkeley for many :years
Yes, I'm actually in Berkeley and thanks for citing the city code. I'm pretty sure he has less than 4 dogs, probably two. I figured that Berkeley doesn't allow this guy to just let his dogs continually crap in his backyard and never clean it up. I just went to my back fence with my digicam and took 1/2 a dozen pictures. I hadn't taken the trouble to look carefully before, but from my single vantage point on the fence I could see that the dogs aren't just crapping next to the fence, but all over the portion of his back yard that I can see -- the area in back of his new garage, an area over 150 square feet, for sure. He just ignores it, evidently. Many turds, most rather dried up by now, just sitting out there. Now, I'm certain that it's an egregious code violation.
I've read all the posts up to this one and I'm inclined to agree with the people who say I should talk to this guy before contemplating going to the authorities. I can probably find the regulations online, FWIW, but it isn't my inclination to go to the authorities if there's a chance I can resolve a problem without doing so, and this situation can very probably be so resolved. I'm not going over there today, because I want to think about just what I'm going to say to this guy. He's tried to come off as a nice guy, easy to get along with and I think if I approach him in the right manner he will start keeping his back yard reasonably clean. I don't want to create bad feelings, so I'm going to work on my attitude, think about how to approach him. I've done many similar things in the past (I think we all have), so I figure I can probably work this problem out too. I don't think either of us needs to get belligerent. It's been years, so there's no rush. I think the first step has been made, actually, which is simply deciding that I'm going to talk to this guy. It could happen today, it could happen in two weeks, who knows? But it WILL happen! I rarely see him. He doesn't hang out in his back yard, AFAIK. I may wait until I encounter him, or I may knock on his front door. If I wait until I encounter him he will immediately realize I have had something on my mind that I've wanted to talk to him about - not a bad way to start the communication about this.
His house is generally upwind of his back yard, is a big part of the problem, I figure. I don't think he has a wife. I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect he lives there alone with his dogs. His house is due west of the back yard, and the prevailing winds in Berkeley are from the west or northwest. Only on rare days do we get offshore winds, and only then would he sense the problem, assuming some of his windows were open.
Dan
Dan_Musicant wrote in message ...

due
the
only
open.
Good luck. The only thing worse than living next to all that poop, is living next to a person that you don't get along with. That can be a living Hell. I hope it works out for you, and you and he can solve it amicably. Take care.
Cheri

This should help... (sorry but I had to).
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb219/Bronco1994/dogscooper.jpg
(GRIN) -- Oren
If your not getting it from the horses mouth, You're listening to the wrong end.
:wrote: : :>Now, I'm certain that it's an egregious code violation. : :This should help... (sorry but I had to). : :
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb219/Bronco1994/dogscooper.jpg : :(GRIN)
LOL! Thanks, that was super. :)
I live back east now, and something I noticed in early spring were ads for people willing to come clean up the dog poop in your yard, I assume for people who just let the dog out to poop in the snow but never cleaned it up all winter. (Ewww... the mister was out there at least once a week, no matter how damn cold it was!) We didn't own a dog when we lived in the east bay, so I can't say I ever noticed people offering those services, but maybe you could look around for a couple of phone numbers to give the guy, maybe even check into the prices. Could be a way to open up an amicable conversation?
Karen
Dan_Musicant wrote:

shall provide a shelter structure or other space for the dog ... > (f) be kept clean and maintained in a manner designed to insure the

Here you go: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pet/374165066.html Leave the Disgusting Job to Us!
Karen
dkhedmo wrote:

:Here you go: :http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pet/374165066.html :Leave the Disgusting Job to Us! : :Karen Ah, I just went to the listing and it had expired (and there's no information). I may mention this possibility when I talk to him, depending on how the conversation goes. I assume the listing was for a pooper scooper service.
Dan
Dan_Musicant wrote:

It was called Pet Butler, I think.
Karen

<snip>
There isn't much you can really do and remain on good terms with your neighbor. At one time my neighbor had 16 (large) dogs and the stench and flies was intense. Our city requires three unrelated neighbors to sign a complaint about dogs. You might consider growing mint near the pile or just stay inside.

What a stupid response.