Dog eating house

Page 1 of 2

We're in the process of having the exterior of this old place redone. I'd hired a painter, who needed a carpenter to replace 'a few rotten corner boards'.
Well, this has led to a major replacement of siding, plywood, and some framing due to both wet rot and carpenter ants. Unfortunately, this place was built in the early 1960s, without the benefit of modern things like house wrap.
Long story short, the carpenter recommended cedar as a deterrant to things like bugs, and we've gone with that. The siding is cedar clapboard anyhow.
Our dog, a seven-month old Golden, seems to have taken a liking to cedar as a snack, and is gnawing on new boards already. As a younger pup, she gnawed on some chair rungs and the like, but nothing serious. Now I'm concerned, not just about the expense of replacing things again soon, but about the health of the dog. This is freshly painted wood, primed with stain and finished with latex.
It can't be good for her, yet keeping her totally away from the house is out of the question. The painter suggested the clear-plastic corner protectors until she grows out of it. I've never seen the dog give plastic a second look, so that's not a bad idea, but I'm seeking others short of putting a 'return to sender' tag on the dog and hooking her to the mailbox.
I'd appreciate any thoughts.
Keith
"K" wrote

Grin, use the plastic and then get some of that 'doggie go way' spray (they even sell ones for outside that are rain resistant) and coat the ground in that area (not the wood, may stain).
You are right, it's not good for her. Until the plastic stuff gets there, use the spray.
If you need something *now* and do not mind the loss of the grass (it will grow back later after about 2 months), pour straight vinegar all over the ground about 2ft out and soaking as much as possible. Most dogs dislike the smell of it.
This is guaranteed to kill your grass and probably anything else green within a 2-3 ft radius so make your choices wisely.
An alternative is ammonia, but this may damage the paint and you'd have to get it on the wood. This will make the dog pee on that corner. He will not however chew on it if it's where he pees ;-)

Fortunately, latex paint is not poisonous. Buy a good book on dong behavior or take a course in dog handling. Chewing can be stopped. Talk to your vet for some advice.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

of boredom.
-- aem sends...
On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 02:22:59 +0000, aemeijers wrote:

A pretty good idea, but then a steady supply of kids for the dog to chew on would be needed. From what I understand it takes about nine months to manufacture one and it wouldn't last long.
--
Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008
http://www.liverpool08.com

She had pretty much stopped chewing a few months ago - still has a fondness for paper, though.
I think it's the fresh paint that she's taken to - it's always a new spot, and the wood is only gouged where she gobbled the paint. I think I'll try a little clear plastic for about a month, until the aroma is good and gone.
thanks, Keith
On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 17:41:53 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

I wrote this two days ago, so I think it's time to write the following:
WHOOOOOOSH!
:-)
--
Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008
http://www.liverpool08.com

re: Buy a good book on dong behavior
I have a whole stack of magazines that cover this subject.
I can't believe nobody else brought this up...
K wrote:

whisperer. You are obviously not the pack leader.
On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 18:31:59 -0400, Claude Hopper

Well said.
wrote Re Re: Dog eating house:

The PEOPLE are the problem. Get rid of them.

Generally speaking, that's the dream of nearly every dedicated animal shelter employee. It is what I think each time an abused or no-longer-wanted dog is brought to the shelter.
_______________________ When I die, I want to go where dogs go!
Claude Hopper wrote:

Oh but the dog is sooo cute and smart and just like a person...
There is a local dog trainer who is very much like Cesar Millan. He knows how to read dogs and knows that they aren't human and while they are smart they have just enough brain power to be a dog. He says the most frustrating thing about doing what he does is people just don't get the idea that the dog knows what to do and the owner needs to be trained to understand the dog. He says people will call and actually ask if they can drop their dog off for training and pick it up when he is done.

Find a human trainer who can teach you how to deal with unwanted dog behaviour. She's controlling you, and you need to control her.
--
I kill all messages, and replies to messages, from Google Groups. See
http://improve-usenet.org for details.
K wrote:

Keep a flyswatter within reach. Use the tool liberally on dog butt when you catch her chewing on siding. Repeat as necessary.

Don't leave your dog unattended until you have trained it to not chew on anything other than its dog specific toys. If you don't have the time then you shouldn't have the dog.
On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 21:58:03 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Keith didn't say he lacked the time: only the enlightenment: much like most pet owners.
At one time, I--and you--knew nothing about pet care. Far more than most folks, I know your quoted statement is correct, but it doesn't need to be said to someone who already has the puppy, and is trying to learn how to become a good pet owner.
________________________ Every dog is an individual, as is their guardian: no single training method works for all.
"Michael A. Ball" wrote

Quite true. And some 'pet owners who think they know things' can make for bad advice.

It takes time.

My golden retriever/yellow lab cross (now 15 yrs old) was a chewer too as a pup, and yellow dogs have LONG puppyhoods. He ate ANYTHING vinyl: garden hoses, lawn edging, spa covers, Barbie dolls, the fill port on the water bed mattress, &tc. Not to mention my daughters' sox and panties, a whole yard worth of redwood bender board, and other stuff. ANd I mean ATE, not just chewed.
When he tuirned 3 yrs old or so, he just stopped.
-Zz

ROTFL! Remote controls, plastic beverage glasses, flip flops, etc.. Caught my dog headed out the door one day with my damn cell phone!
I read many stories about damages in the thousands of dollars. I have a 4 YO Basenji (in the top two hardest to train).

My dog got "kicked out" of obedience 101 class (G). He wanted to eat the other puppies.
As was mentioned, learn to be the "pack leader".