Dog door replacement flap

I've tried and tried to find a replacement flap for my ancient Johnson Pet Door Model M-2. Nothing, nada, and zilch. Looks like I need to make one.
Does anyone have any idea where I might find a small sheet of soft vinyl about 1/4" thick and ~ 11 x 15"?
Thx, P

Maybe a cheap set of clear plastic car floor mats?
Steve
On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 17:11:59 -0500, Puddin' Man wrote:

Hmm, a replacement part from the manufacturer of another pet door maybe, then cut down to size?
I checked ours (Ruff Weather) in case it'd work, but it's more like 10 x 16" - I don't think it's quite as thick as 1/4" either (it has two doors with an air gap between, so I suppose each individual door doesn't need to be as thick). I think ours was a 'large', so an extra-large would probably give you enough material (but still not be as thick as you need! :-)
If you can find someone who makes tops for convertibles*, it might be worth asking them too - they might tell you their source for the material used in the rear windows (again though, it won't necessarily be as thick as what you're looking for)
* and what the heck, tour a few junkyards just in case :-)
cheers
Jules

An upholstry shop or fabric store.

Right. Two layers of vinyl with something stiffer in between.
Held together by the vinyl sheet, the center layer woudln't have to be one piece. One or two pieces of scrap vinyl siding, for example.

A) Make a pattern and save it, because the first model will have design flaws. The second one will take 1/4 the time.
B) Maybe don't hinge it the either the vinyl or the siding, but with a piece of that indestructible plastic, like clam shell packaging, or the black plastic rectangular bowls that Nissan noodles come in for $1.00 (Not wide enough but the same materials are found elsehwere.)
On 10/19/2011 6:11 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:

They list a size "M-2" here but it looks too small for your needs.
http://www.petdoors.com/johnson-replacement-flaps.html

Try "plastics" in Yellow pages of phone book. WW
Puddin' Man wrote:

google... http://www.moorepet.com/Replacement-Flaps-dog-doors-pet-doors-s/81.htm

Might be easier to buy the replacement door that is closest on the small side and then shim out the sides of the door.
On 10/20/2011 10:15 AM, Davej wrote:

sheet floor vinyl in home depot.
All responses are much appreciated.
I shoulda mentioned up front: Johnson Pet Door replacement flaps are a "Super-PITA". Google the suckers and there are pointers to numerous vendors. None (N-O-N-E) have a true replacement flap. I suspected this before, now I've confirmed it.
The closest I came was the unit on http://www.petdoors.com/pride-flaps-and-parts.html which involves different mnfgr, material, thickness, and to some extent measurements. It *may* be adaptable.
I'll either try adapting that unit or evaluate/attempt the other suggestions made in the thread, one by one.
Many Thanks, P

If you plan to try the suggestions offered "one by one", start with mine and you won't have to try anymore:
Replace the door with a newer, more energy efficient one.
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:49:54 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Pfft, replace the pet door with wall, and teach the pet how to use keys :-)
On Oct 20, 3:52pm, Jules Richardson

Both my garage and my main entry doors have keypads.
I could envision a pet learning the correct sequence.