Dog Crap on Front Yard

Page 5 of 5
I missed reading the original posting but here is a simple trick that I read almost 10 years ago that prevents dogs from crapping on your lawn. I don't know if it will always work but it worked for me. Apparently, dogs will not defacate where there is fresh water. Half fill a container that a dog cannot drink out of, such as a sprinkle can, with fresh water and set it in your yard.
E. Ruff
(Larry Bud)

It could be considered vandalism. Throw some on someone's car,and someone sees you,and signs a police report on it,and there you are.All that's needed is a witness or video proof.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

the
and
Entertaining, but actionable. Prolly not a good idea.

This is one of the more interesting suggestions yet (and there's been some real bullshit flying). I could see a perp being so unnerved by the whole photography process - especially if you make a production of it (might be fun having a standard talent release form handy!) - that they'd avoid the yard of "that crazy dude down the street."

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here. When I lived in town, ten feet of "my" lawn was city property. Of course, they "allowed" me to maintain it but I could not exclude anyone from walking on it. I discovered this when trying to stop the neighbor kids from cutting the corner with their bikes. They did have a pooper scooper ordinance though.
I would contact code enforcement first.
Failing to get relief there, I would photograph the dog in the act and follow the dog owner home so you know who is responsible. Then hire someone reputable such as a vet clinic employee to clean the mess one time. This establishes what it costs to remove dog poop. Then sue the dog owner in small claims court for the maximum amount allowed. 100 days at $50=$5000 or whatever.
Dog owner may protest his pooch only used your yard once. Your assertion is that someone uses it daily and he is the only one you have seen. Even if you only win the one day rate plus court costs, it will get around that you are serious.

I don't have this problem as bad as described, and so I don't know how well this will work, but I once read of a fellow who cooked up a few pounds of bacon and bottled the grease. Just before an 'event' was aout to happen, he heated some of the grease and then poured it over some deposits left the day before.
No real anecdotes as to the veracity of the results but the rumor was the dog was far more interested in discovering the grease *before* doing the duty.
--
Remove INVALID from e-mail address.

Ken Hall wrote:

You could put up a short fence.. kinda like the picket fence style... block the dogs from getting into your yard
Ken:
Don't know if you have gotten this response, but one thing you can look into is a lawn sprinkler with a motion sensor. Usually advertised for keeping deer and such out of gardens.
I would set one up on each corner of your lot, and give any jerks a nice surprise!
-Trey
Friday, Ken Hall poured vast amounts of knowledge into alt.home.repair

Trey Waters snipped-for-privacy@sidestreet.tzo.com