Dog Crap on Front Yard

Page 1 of 5
I don't think there's anything that can be done about this except move, but sometimes I'm surprised by the answers on newsgroups.
Our street faces a large apartment complex. The arrangement of the few houses on our street create only small front yards -- about 20' deep by the width of the lots (80'?). The houses are about 25 years old. The apartment complex was built a few (3 ?) years ago.
On the far side of the complex is a boulevard and on each end is another complex so the only area with grass these people can reach is our small lawns. So, our lawns have become the toilet for the *many* tenants with dogs. They all walk the dogs down our street and stop on the lawn for a dump. The lawns become covered with dog turds.
If I happen to be outside they usually pass on to a lawn a couple of doors down. On the rare occasion when the owner ignores the fact that I'm standing right there, I say something like "Please don't mess my yard." Usually they either don't reply or say something like "Go F**k yourself," or give an indifferent "OK."
Anybody think of any way to stop this? Is there something one can sprinkle or spray on the yard that will repel the dogs?
Ken

Spray the dog with a water hose. If that does not work, spray the owner. Your property so you can water the lawn any time you please.
Shotgun would work better but would get you in trouble. Ed
Edwin Pawlowski writes:

As much as I have wanted to do this myself, to do so is to commit the crime of simple assault.

crime
Yeah, you'd sure have to make to look accidental. Sorry, I didn't see you when I turned the sprinkler on. Ed
im sure your city has an ordinance for this, contact your police dept. Tickets and fines can be wriiten. Talk to the apt bldg lanlord.

Depending on where you live, there are probably laws against the dog owners and they can be arrested and fined for not cleaning up their dog's messes. Call the police and ask.
Were it me, I would just put up a Fi-Shock wire. Anyone asks, it is for the training of MY dog, and it is on MY property. Be CERTAIN that all is on YOUR property, and inward from the line. A run of tie wire is almost invisible. Hook it up to a trash can, too. Male dogs love to urinate on trash cans. It will only take once or twice, and the dog will avoid your yard forever. End ot THAT problem.
You put the Fi-Shock away, and bring it out the next time you have a problem. They are available on line for about $40. Don't get the whole kit, as you can get tie wire at HD for about $3 per roll, and cut stakes out of pvc. Spiral it around a PVC perch on the roof for pesky pigeons.
An easy solution.
Steve

The problem is, unless this is a stray dog, it's the OWNER that needs to be shocked, not the stupid dog.
On 5 Jan 2004 07:53:26 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Larry Bud) wrote:

The original offender (who doesn't have to say where the shit came from), the apartment managers, other tenants, etc. In the end, the "I'm breaking the law, but you did it first" defense doesn't get very far. Probably the best you're going to get is both of them fined, but in this case where it's an apartment complex, the 'revenge' can also get hit for vandalism, public health risks, etc.

Federal crime once you put in in a mailbox,especially these days. At the least,vandalism,note or not.

Any Contract has to be signed by the other party to be legal. Clue;he's NOT going to sign any such thing.

If you can catch the dog -without getting bit,just take it to the animal shelter or dog pound,or call them for a pickup. Dogs should not be running around unleashed,they might run in front of a car,cause an accident,or bite a child(it's for the children!). Unleashed is unloved.Many communities have leash laws,too.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

>> Remove "zz" from e-mail address to direct reply. <<

But you could box up the deposit, attach the correct postage, and mail it! Never get near someone's mailbox (I was a 2000 US Census worker).

They'd STILL get you for sending toxic waste or something similar. I suspect there are certain things/substances that cannot legally be sent through the US mail.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

I once put a sign up in my front yard where my neighbors dog was crapping and ripping up my seedlings. It said "This is a garden, not a doggie poop dumping ground" or something like that. Never named names but the neighbor got really pissed and wouldn't talk to me. So I went by and asked her what the problem was, and she mentioned the sign. I told her I had no idea it was her dog and never would have expected it. She was totally embarrassed, and not only did the doggy poop disappear from my front lawn but from all the neighbor's lawns too.
ZsaZsa wrote:

A neighbor has a neat sign. I am not certain if I can recite it exactly:
In this soil So hard and cold lies a little dog who pooped in my yard
Another sign on the same property cites a city ordinance pointing out a $250 fine for dog poop, and says "violators will be prosecuted".

well, for it to scan-- "So cold and hard"
How about:
In this ground, so hard and cold A dog's friend lies, or so I'm told. This owner was bad, and did not scoop. and so he paid, for his dog's poop.
(free for non-comercial use)
;)
It's not the dogs fault... it's the owners. Same with barking dogs, cats crapping in garden, etc.
--
be safe.
flip -- responsible pet owner (8 indoor cats)
writes:

I would laugh if the local police came and dug up your entire yard looking for some missing person.
But it's nice poetry.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
R&D wrote:

<snipped>
Why not avoid the possibility of getting in trouble with the feds if you'd put it in their mailbox?
Just deposit it unwrapped outside their front door...
i.e. return it to the owner....
Jeff

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
"If you can smile when things are going wrong, you've thought of someone to blame it on."

Legal steps are always the first thing to consider, at least find out what is and isn't on the books. Then a simple sign mounted somewhere, asking not to let the dog mess on your property. I realize this might seem silly given the response that you have been getting, but it serves the purpose of notifying the offending parties. That way if legal is the only way, you made the first step. Blocking off access to the lawn area is an option. I do like the response from Ace, but only as a last resort, but I might modify it somewhat, like bag it and put it on the hood of their car.
Dave
Bagging it is bring too nice. Just dump it on their car or in front of their door. I would try talking to the landlord first. It would be better if you can get everyone from down the street. Ask if he can tell the people with dogs if they can't clean up after their pets or they will be asked to remove the pets or leave. He can do something, unless he's a dumb ass also. This is really too bad. Some people are just jerks. My parents pick up after their dog. I had a guy next door that let his cat shit in my yard. I said something to him and he gave me shit back. I tried to be nice about it, so the last thing I said was is if I catch your cat in my yard I will tie a brick to it and toss it in the lake. That took care of the problem... Remove NoSpam to reply, Thanks