Dog Barks at Owl

If I leave my dog outside at night, she'll bark and wake up the neighborhood, but the owl stays away, too. If I leave my dog inside at night, the owl hoots and the dog barks and wakes up the family. We need sleep. Is there a way to keep the owl away from my yard? The owl has been around for only a week ... will it move away pretty soon? I am in Raleigh, NC. Other advice?

If your dog barks outside and disturbs the neighbors, then you obviously don't deserve to have a dog. Take the mutt to the pound, since you have failed to properly train your dog not to bark outside.
If you lived next door to me, I would shoot your dog or poison it the first night it started barking and woke me up.

hmmm, how about talking to your neighbor first? It's not the dog's fault.
| > If I leave my dog outside at night, she'll bark and wake up the | > neighborhood,
<snip> | | If you lived next door to me, I would shoot your dog or poison it the first | night it started barking and woke me up. | And I thought I had shitty neighbors............

Your neighbors sure do, if there is a barking dog next door.
The owl is eating rodents that will try to get in your house this winter. Keep the dog in your room and train it to be quiet, it wont take but a few scoldings.
written

You had said nothing about the owl yet. Can't wait to hear a solution from you. I imagine you live in a neighbourhood were pets are not allowed.
--
Barney

Dammit Oscar. Get back in your trash can!!!

soon?
first
Oscar_Lives wrote:

If you call the animal control department, they will come down and look into barking dogs. They will most likely give the owner some brochures on training the dog not to bark. If you poison the dog, you will go to jail. They may not catch you for this, but it's rare for criminals to stick to a single crime. One of these days, you will get caught.
Wow, I live in Cary. Would be neat to have a neighborhood owl. I hear hoots in my neighborhood buy assume it is pigeons (doves) which are all over the place. Probably would be good food for your owl.

I don't care for leaving a pet outside all night. At least if you bring her inside, she'll only wake up your family and not everyone else. Then train the dog not to bark at the owl. The owl must find the area attractive. Maybe lots of mice to eat and it'll help you out in the long run. I never go out of my way to train my dog. But I say the same thing all the time and she eventually understands not to bark at certain noises. I use a calm voice and keep telling her "yes, that was a big noise". After a few times she understands that the noise doesn't bother me, so she shouldn't bark at it.

wakes
Super Barks a lot, JC Penny, or a bark collar.

Anti-bark collar. Take the dog inside at night. Give away the dog. Mussels may choke dogs.
Mussels may choke dogs, but at least they'd clam up for the night.

Mussel = marine bivalve mollusks Muzzle = A leather or wire restraining appliance that, when fitted over an animal's snout, prevents biting and eating.

If your dog were properly crate trained and slept in your bedroom, I doubt seriously if he would bark.
B wrote:

It might be like living next to the RR tracks - everyone becomes accustomed to it and will eventually not notice the sound. Put fido in a room with radio playing very softly and perhaps he won't hear the owl.
Wow! You haven't gotten much serious advice, have you? :( Who knew the pooch could bring out such...passionate...responses. ;)
If you have an "interior," room in your house, place the dog in that room, with their bed. By interior, I mean no outside walls, and no windows. They should not be able to hear outside (i.e., the owl) noise from this room.
If being away from you will result in barking, try putting the dog where it normally sleeps, but put a portable fan near it. This will create white noise, preventing the dog from hearing the owl. Fan should not oscillate, as that affects the noise it produces. Needs to be high speed and steady (pointed away from the dog of course).
Finally, as a training method to stop barking, fill an empty, clean spray bottle with water. Whenever the dog barks, say "NO" in a low, firm voice and spray the dog in the face. It has to be a new spray bottle (reused is too risky because you might not get it clean enough). This was recommended to us in obedience school. Sounds mean, but our Labradoodle learned very quickly. Course, our Lhasa Apso was another story...god help you if you have one of those! (laugh)
Good luck.
We adopted a resccue dog that was kept outside and developed a barking problem before we got him. We took him to obedience school and learned how to control his barking. There is a spray that you can buy in pet stores called Bitter Apple. The technique we used was say "no bark". We said it quietly and without yelling as dogs hearing is 30 times better than humans. If he barked again we opened his mouth and put one spray of Bitter Apple in his mouth and said "no bark". After two or three times of doing that he got the message. Now all we say is "no bark" and he becomes quiet immediately. I think the owl is a helper in keeping rodents out of your house so I would try and train the dog to stay inside and not bark. We don't correct the dog when people come up the driveway because we want them to learn to give an "alarm bark" but when we say good boy, no bark. they stop. This is an idea that won't annoy your neighbors, you will have a better behaved dog and less rodents. Good Luck. JD