Dog Barks at Owl

If I leave my dog outside at night, she'll bark and wake up the neighborhood, but the owl stays away, too. If I leave my dog inside at night, the owl hoots and the dog barks and wakes up the family. We need sleep. Is there a way to keep the owl away from my yard? The owl has been around for only a week ... will it move away pretty soon? I am in Raleigh, NC. Other advice?

If your dog barks outside and disturbs the neighbors, then you obviously don't deserve to have a dog. Take the mutt to the pound, since you have failed to properly train your dog not to bark outside.

If you lived next door to me, I would shoot your dog or poison it the first night it started barking and woke me up.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Wow, I live in Cary. Would be neat to have a neighborhood owl. I hear hoots in my neighborhood buy assume it is pigeons (doves) which are all over the place. Probably would be good food for your owl.

Reply to
Art

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in news:7e_ed.243143$wV.174442@attbi_s54:

hmmm, how about talking to your neighbor first? It's not the dog's fault.

Reply to
granjero

"B" wrote in news:COZed.14830$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

I don't care for leaving a pet outside all night. At least if you bring her inside, she'll only wake up your family and not everyone else. Then train the dog not to bark at the owl. The owl must find the area attractive. Maybe lots of mice to eat and it'll help you out in the long run. I never go out of my way to train my dog. But I say the same thing all the time and she eventually understands not to bark at certain noises. I use a calm voice and keep telling her "yes, that was a big noise". After a few times she understands that the noise doesn't bother me, so she shouldn't bark at it.

Reply to
granjero

| | If you lived next door to me, I would shoot your dog or poison it the first | night it started barking and woke me up. | And I thought I had shitty neighbors............

Reply to
tcg

Your neighbors sure do, if there is a barking dog next door.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

The owl is eating rodents that will try to get in your house this winter. Keep the dog in your room and train it to be quiet, it wont take but a few scoldings.

Reply to
m Ransley

Super Barks a lot, JC Penny, or a bark collar.

Reply to
SQLit

Anti-bark collar. Take the dog inside at night. Give away the dog. Mussels may choke dogs.

Reply to
Phisherman

Dammit Oscar. Get back in your trash can!!!

Reply to
Greg

If your dog were properly crate trained and slept in your bedroom, I doubt seriously if he would bark.

Reply to
Sunflower

"Oscar_Lives" had writtennews:hb7fd.303227$MQ5.212737@attbi_s52:

You had said nothing about the owl yet. Can't wait to hear a solution from you. I imagine you live in a neighbourhood were pets are not allowed.

Reply to
Barney

Mussels may choke dogs, but at least they'd clam up for the night.

Reply to
Gizmofiddler

"Gizmofiddler" wrote in news:417db4e5 snipped-for-privacy@newspeer2.tds.net:

Mussel = marine bivalve mollusks Muzzle = A leather or wire restraining appliance that, when fitted over an animal's snout, prevents biting and eating.

Reply to
Stephen King

It might be like living next to the RR tracks - everyone becomes accustomed to it and will eventually not notice the sound. Put fido in a room with radio playing very softly and perhaps he won't hear the owl.

Reply to
Norminn

If you call the animal control department, they will come down and look into barking dogs. They will most likely give the owner some brochures on training the dog not to bark. If you poison the dog, you will go to jail. They may not catch you for this, but it's rare for criminals to stick to a single crime. One of these days, you will get caught.

Reply to
Hagrinas Mivali

Wow! You haven't gotten much serious advice, have you? :( Who knew the pooch could bring out such...passionate...responses. ;)

If you have an "interior," room in your house, place the dog in that room, with their bed. By interior, I mean no outside walls, and no windows. They should not be able to hear outside (i.e., the owl) noise from this room.

If being away from you will result in barking, try putting the dog where it normally sleeps, but put a portable fan near it. This will create white noise, preventing the dog from hearing the owl. Fan should not oscillate, as that affects the noise it produces. Needs to be high speed and steady (pointed away from the dog of course).

Finally, as a training method to stop barking, fill an empty, clean spray bottle with water. Whenever the dog barks, say "NO" in a low, firm voice and spray the dog in the face. It has to be a new spray bottle (reused is too risky because you might not get it clean enough). This was recommended to us in obedience school. Sounds mean, but our Labradoodle learned very quickly. ?Course, our Lhasa Apso was another story...god help you if you have one of those! (laugh)

Good luck.

Reply to
design_diva

replying to B, Lin wrote: I hope it’ not a small dog. Owls and other large birds of prey will make a meal of small dogs and cats if they can’t find something easier to carry away.

Reply to
Lin