Does window film keep the cold out?

We have single-pane windows, but we don't want to spend $10,000 for new ones. One alternative we're considering is putting down window film. How effective is it at reducing heat loss? Does it block a lot of natural light?

Reply to
skybearer

on 9/17/2007 1:26 PM snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com said the following:

Better than nothing.

No.

Reply to
willshak

I had a tenant once who complained about the cold. He said he even closed the miniblinds and the room was still cold.

There is clear film which is applied around the window frame and then shrunk to fit with a hair dryer. This seems to help keep the draft out without cutting down light. Unless the film is optically clear, images look blurry through it.

Reply to
franz frippl

Are you talking about the plastic that you secure around the window and heat with a blow-drier for a tight fit? If so, it helps a lot with drafty windows, but provides no real insulation.

Reply to
jeff37

It doesn't insulate. You need to create a dead-air space.

Reply to
Phisherman

Spend the money on new windows!!! Do a few at a time. The difference in comfort and noise reductuon is phenomenal. Will have te rest done next spring. Great invenstment.

Reply to
bigjim

Phisherman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

you could make a frame to fit snugly inside the window recess and stretch the clear plastic film across that,instead of using dbl-sided tape to stick the film to the window frame. Then you could remove the frame and store it for later,like an outside storm window.

Also,IIRC,some of the window tint films have a low-e coating,lowering thermal radiation thru the glass.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

$10,000? I know it depends on your house, location and many other factors, but I'm just curious...was that a quote that you got from someone or just an assumption?

I was surprised how little I spent to replace 9 windows, doing the work myself. I always thought it would be impossible to fit it into the budget, but once I did my homework, I found out it wasn't that bad. The sheer ease of just opening and closing each window, as opposed to the constant wrestling with the screens and storms, almost justifies the expense. I'll consider any savings in heating and cooling costs as an added bonus!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It also depends on how long you plan to live there. If more than 5 years, updating the windows will be worth the investment. I recall spending about $450 on additional insulation back in 1993, plus $120 on programmable thermostats. It turned out that I had made a very wise investment. On really cold winter days, I roll up a blanket and place it at the bottom of the front door--it really helps cut down the draft.

Reply to
Phisherman

If you have single pane windows the shrink wrapped film is well worth it. For extra sealing use blue paint masking tape around the perimeter.

This will stop drafts and will insulate by creating a dead air space. Light will still come through but images will be deffused.

Reply to
tnom

Use it when I rent an old farm house in upstate NY, sure cut down on the drafts and hence saved money. I have installed add-on storm windows to homes also, but don't know the cost these days. I did a search for add on storm windows and came up with numerous sites.

Reply to
asmurff

If it seals, it should be a good as storm windows.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Have you considered weatherstripping?

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

For about $10 you can get permanently-mounted threshold sweeps (I think that's what they're called) that screw to the inside bottom of the door and push tight against the threshold when the door's closed. Stops the draft every time you close the door, no bending over involved.

Reply to
Bob M.

this is too funny. Blue tape won't stick very long, or very well. And if the double-stick tape is applied right there is no need to tape anything afterwards!

Reply to
Bob M.

That's the point. It will be easy to remove once spring comes around.

Reply to
tnom

You apparently use the film and double stick tape as a permanent solution? Do you use cardboard boxes as end tables also?

Reply to
tnom

My experience is that if blue tape is left for too long, the adhesive does not come off cleanly. Most tapes seem to have the same problem.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

They sell a specially formulated clear tape for use with window film- stupidly expensive, but pulls off cleanly even on sunward-side windows that go through 100-degree swings repeatedly. It'll be in the same aisle as the film kits. I only film the windows in the cold bedroom, but seal the cracks in the single-pane casements in the other (unused, closed off) bedrooms with just the tape. Year three and no problems- the tape even stayed sticky enough to reuse when I needed to open the windows to clean up the putty and fix the storms. (I really need replacement windows, but then I would have more in this place than I could get back out of it....)

aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

It is better than doing nothing, but it is less effective than new windows or storm windows.

There are other considerations too. How well do the windows work? Do they stick, leak, are painted shut, look ugly, need painting? If you answer yes to a couple of them, replacing the windows will cure a lot of problems and add value to your house.

Window film helps with heating, looks ugly, makes it impossible to open windows on nice days.

Consider replacing two windows at a time to help cash flow. Learn to replace them yourself to save money. Check to see if your utility company offers rebates.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski