Does vinegar harm cement paving bricks?

Over the last three years I've been spraying strength vinegar on my cement based pavers to kill moss and weeds.

Works well; however, does vinegar harm cement based pavers?

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
G Mulcaster

I can say that based on three years of use, no.

Reply to
Rich

Most likely, yes. It's a weak acid and will react with the cement and possibly the aggregate. I'd try to find another solution. (intended)

Reply to
Mike Paulsen

I use vinegar to clean hard water stains off of cement block walls. We have hard water -- calcium leaches into the block. It is mild, and after a short soak and scrub I rinse it off. A power washer would cause more damage.

["It?s easy to see why vinegar has been around for thousands of years?it has 1001 uses! From cooking and cleaning with vinegar, to gardening and home remedies, white distilled vinegar is one of the most versatile?and economical?products you can have on hand."]

Oren

Organic vinegar such as apple cider vinegar is not acidic!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Well, if it isn't acidic, then it isn't vinegar. Vinegar is a weak (~

5%) solution of acetic acid in water. Some types may have various "flavourings" in addition, but it is the acid that makes it vinegar.

High school chemistry class strikes again!

Chris

Reply to
chrish57

Hmmm, When you have a heart burn due to too much stomach acid; acid refulux, take some apple cider vinegar what happens? No heart burn! You can tell from taste whether it is acidic or alkaline. Another example? Orange is acidic, lemon is not. Junior high science class strikes again!!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Not so. All citrus has ascorbic acid.

Reply to
norminn

Ever get a squirt of lemon juice in your eye? It burns, thus acidic.

Watch out for paper cuts on the fingers and lemon juice...it burns also!

Reply to
Oren

Sorry but vinegar is acidic or it's not vinegar. BTW: Vinegar is more acidic than acid rain. So, yes, eventually it will eat away at even cement.

od

Reply to
olddog

" snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net" wrote in news:ra6dnZjOi7OTCW7UnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Actually, citrus fruit has citric acid. Amazing! Three (3) carboxylic acid moieties per molecule, hence it is capable of chelating (capturing) calcium. That is the basis for use of citric acid (or trisodium citrate) as anticoagulants (preventing platelet activation and blood clotting).

DAMHIKT

Reply to
Han

"olddog" wrote in news:kCNIl.163199$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

That will depend on the concentration of the acid. But it is rather well- known that pure acetic acid (which by the way freezes at around 12 degrees C, or around 53F IIRC) eats away stainless steel.

Reply to
Han

I'm fairly sure vinegar contains acetic acid. Which may very well react wtih the paving.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Mix some of that apple cider vinegar wtih baking soda. See if it bubbles. I'd have to guess it does.

So, you add some more vinegar acid to your stomach, and the natural acid protection kicks in. Proving what?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Citrus fruit = citric acid.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Actually, citrus fruit has citric and ascorbic acids :o) Vitamin C!

Reply to
norminn

A strong base will also burn your eye.

Reply to
salty

All the chemists aside, I doubt the vinegar, used occasionally in this manner, would be any more damaging than the normal pollutants in the air or rain. If it's worked for 3 years with no noticeable impact you are probably safe to continue.

Reply to
Mark

Thanks for the useful link!

Reply to
Mark

Probably, but maybe to an extent you would not notice. Vinegar on limestone makes it bubble carbon dioxide.

Reply to
Phisherman