Does vinegar harm cement paving bricks?

Page 1 of 3
Over the last three years I've been spraying strength vinegar on my cement based pavers to kill moss and weeds.
Works well; however, does vinegar harm cement based pavers?
Thanks, Gary

I can say that based on three years of use, no.
G Mulcaster wrote:

Most likely, yes. It's a weak acid and will react with the cement and possibly the aggregate. I'd try to find another solution. (intended)
Mike Paulsen wrote:

Hmmm, Organic vinegar such as apple cider vinegar is not acidic!

Well, if it isn't acidic, then it isn't vinegar. Vinegar is a weak (~ 5%) solution of acetic acid in water. Some types may have various "flavourings" in addition, but it is the acid that makes it vinegar.
High school chemistry class strikes again!
Chris
snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

Hmmm, When you have a heart burn due to too much stomach acid; acid refulux, take some apple cider vinegar what happens? No heart burn! You can tell from taste whether it is acidic or alkaline. Another example? Orange is acidic, lemon is not. Junior high science class strikes again!!
Tony Hwang wrote:

Not so. All citrus has ascorbic acid.

Actually, citrus fruit has citric acid. Amazing! Three (3) carboxylic acid moieties per molecule, hence it is capable of chelating (capturing) calcium. That is the basis for use of citric acid (or trisodium citrate) as anticoagulants (preventing platelet activation and blood clotting).
DAMHIKT
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Actually, citrus fruit has citric and ascorbic acids :o) Vitamin C!
Citrus fruit = citric acid.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Ever get a squirt of lemon juice in your eye? It burns, thus acidic.
Watch out for paper cuts on the fingers and lemon juice...it burns also!

A strong base will also burn your eye.

Sorry but vinegar is acidic or it's not vinegar. BTW: Vinegar is more acidic than acid rain. So, yes, eventually it will eat away at even cement.
od

That will depend on the concentration of the acid. But it is rather well- known that pure acetic acid (which by the way freezes at around 12 degrees C, or around 53F IIRC) eats away stainless steel.
--
Best regards
Han
wrote Re Re: Does vinegar harm cement paving bricks?:

Wow dude. You don't know sh*t about chemistry.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Vinegar is acidic. Try testing with litmus paper. Or bicarbonate of soda.
Common sense prevails.
dadiOH

Vinegar is not a pure substance and thus has no specific chemical formula. Vinegar is mainly water (H2O), but is also comprised of acetic acidic (the carboxylic acid which gives vinegar its pungent/ sour smell). Acetic acid's formula is CH3COOH. Vinegar is a liquid produced by the fermentation of alcohol into acetic acid as well as other fermentation by-products. The acetic acid concentration ranges typically from 4 to 8 percent by volume for table vinegar (typically 5%) and higher concentrations for pickling (up to 18%) although in some countries the minimum strength may be less. Natural vinegars also contain smaller amounts of tartaric acid, citric acid, and other acids.

How much bad information can one thread contain. Lemons ARE acidic. Apple cider vinegar IS acidic. Heartburn is not caused by too much acid but the acid being pushed above the stomach onto sensitive tissues. Many people don't have enough acid in the stomach to digest properly, and that can cause heartburn, taking antacids can feel better because of less acid to cause pain, but will hinder proper digestion further.
As a chemist who had to study German, I note that acetic acid is, Essigsure in German and Essig is the German name for vinegar. Historically, I assume that as vinegar has been around forever, when the German's started to develop their chemical talents and extracted acetic acid from vinegar, they naturally called it vinegar acid. Similar nomenclature evolved for formic acid (Ameisensure) which is found in ants (Ameise).