Does this sound like a venting problem - plumbing

I have one drain in my bathroom that drains normally, but every so often it won't drain until a certain depth is in the basin (sink) then drains keeping that level in the basin. After it drains, or when the water flow slackens a bubble will come out of the drain and then the water will all drain from the basin. It's not repeatable, but I wonder if it might also be responsible for my occasionally slow to drain toilet.
Is this what a venting problem does, or am I describing something different?
check trap under sink first for clog.
it could be. other times the under-the-sink view includes an old style S trap which seems to make more resistance to the water to drain than the P traps of today. i have an oversized 2" S TRAP under my 1-1/2" kitchen sink with strainer basket removed and am seeing the backup problem unsolved by an add-a-vent under the sink even when replaced by a new one. i see any temporary backup water miraculously disappear when dish detergent is squirted into the sluggish drain. [i am wondering if the 2" s trap must be a 1-1'2" p trap; [any more help would be welcome on this] see your rooftop for location of actual 4" soil stack pipe rising above toilet rooms and sometimes separate venting for a new bath or kitchen thru the roof in a 2" pipe. SEE VENTING AT: http://www.free-ed.net/sweethaven/BldgConst/Plumbing01/lessonmain.asp?iNum=fra0309 it could be blockage after the toilet and after the sink but before the soil stack. see: http://www.fluidmaster.com / SEE S-TRAP PICTURES AT: http://images.google.com/images?sourceid ptaincaveman&q=s%20traps SEE P TRAPS AT: http://images.google.com/images?svnum0&hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=P+traps&btnG=Search
Eigenvector wrote:

http://www.free-ed.net/sweethaven/BldgConst/Plumbing01/lessonmain.asp?iNum=fra0309
http://images.google.com/images?svnum0&hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=P+traps&btnG=Search
stubborn clog in there that isn't fully removed and slowing down the draining.
How is the drain secured to the wash basin, A long time ago I tried to remove the trap to replace it with a more modern equivalent, but couldn't get it to budge - is it puttied on, glued on, or just stuck on with years of oils, grease, and similar horrors?

usually plumber's putty, a rusted nut, and rust. ok, and sludge. :)
Eigenvector wrote:

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 17:28:30 -0700, "Eigenvector"

Air bubbles generally mean venting issues, yes.