Does this room exist???

Just read an ad in the Home Trends mailing. ADD MOISTURE TO ANY ROOM WITHOUT AN ELECTRICAL OUTLET!! Just place our non-electric Humidifier over a floor register.............<SNIPPED FOR BREVITY>
I can't believe that anyone would have a room without an electrical outlet, let alone one without an electrical outlet that they wish to humidify!
On 3-Feb-2004, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comic (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

Older homes may have far fewer outlets than modern codes require. As well, if the only one or two available are always full, you might not have one available for the humidifier.
I've been known to place a shallow pan of water in front of a register to increase the humidity. Or place one over a hot-water radiator. No power and no fancy high-priced gadgets required.
Mike
<< Older homes may have far fewer outlets than modern codes require. As well, if the only one or two available are always full, you might not have one available for the humidifier. >>
____Reply Separator_____
Gotcha! Perhaps the grabber should have read, ADD MOISTURE TO ANY ROOM WITHOUT (using) AN ELECTRICAL OUTLET!!
(TOM KAN PA) wrote:

routinely put coffee cans of water on top of the steam radiators to keep our eyes and nasal passages from drying up in winter.
aem sends....
TOM KAN PA wrote:

sure what the ad writer was thinking was, "ADD MOISTURE TO ANY ROOM WITHOUT (HAVING TO PLUG ANYTHING INTO) AN ELECTRICAL OUTLET"
Jeff
--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Perhaps it was *very carefully* worded. If a customer calls in and complains, the service guy asks, "does the room have an electrical outlet?" If it does, the customer is out of luck because the advertisement never said anything about rooms *with* outlets.
Think about it. ;-)
Bob
-- "Blessed is the end-user who expects nothing, for he shall not be dissapointed."
In alt.home.repair on Tue, 03 Feb 2004 18:50:52 -0600 zxcvbob

ROTFLOL You'll go far on Madison Avenue. Look into it.

Meirman
If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.
In alt.home.repair on Tue, 03 Feb 2004 18:40:13 -0500 Jeff Wisnia

Well, when someones says "I can ride my bicycle without any hands", it doesn't mean I don't have any hands. Or "without training wheels" it doesn't mean I don't still own my old training wheels.

Meirman
If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.
Yes it exists. My 150 year old farmhouse had 2 rooms without outlets. They didn't have hot air registers either. Adding moisture to the room was never a thought- the roof leaks took care of that.

When we were getting our farmhouse in England wired for 240v (but still from a diesel generator; we had had 32v DC before that; we were too close to a BBC monitoring station for overhead supply lines to be permitted, and we couldn't afford to pay for a mile or more of underground lines), the electrician's original proposal was to put a single outlet in the passageway outside the bedrooms -- one outlet to serve three bedrooms! I convinced my parents to insist on an outlet in each bedroom.
This was in the early 1950s.
MB
On 02/03/04 05:35 pm TOM KAN PA put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace: