Does this meet electrical Code?

I removed a dysfunctional "Kitchen in the Closet" from the closet in my den. It had hot/cold water, a washbasin, a refrigerator and a 4 burner stove. An amazing fixture, but useless for me.

I cut off the plumbing drain, glued a cap on it and used the valves to turn off the water. The electric wiring consisted of 3 # 10? wires. I don't think anyone would have a problem with the plumbing.

I cut the electric wires, put wire-nuts over the cut ends, and enclosed it all in a small metal junction box. The junction box and the capped plumbing I surrounded with a small wooden enclosure against the dry-wall.

It looks neat, but how many codes did I ignore? Here are two photos:

Thanks for any input.

Reply to
Walter R.

Put a cover (which you probably removed just for the picture) on the junction box and it looks good to me.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Get a pair of "compression caps" for the valves; right now you are relying on the rubber washers inside for prevention of a flood. (I can't tell from the pic whether they are 3/8" or 1/2", but if you still have the old supply tubing, take that along to the store.)

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

What size wire is in there? Looks larger than 12 gauge romex.

In my area, ANYTHING electric that close would have to be GFCI'd. (rightfully so, a little water over there and the pipes come alive) You will either have to GFCI it now or later when (or if) that area gets used again. As the other guy said, compression caps would be an idea.

Tom

Reply to
Sexytom976

"Walter R." wrote in message news:y1fEd.52351$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.socal.rr.com...

Walter; The box that you have junctioned the four (4) #10 wires in needs to have a minimum cubic inch capacity of 10 for the four wires (each #10 wire needs

2.5 cubic inches times four (4) wires equals 10 cubic inches and if you "throw in" one (1) extra for the wire nuts as the NEC requires (NEC calls for one (1) for wire nuts and two (2) for any device installed inside the box, which you did NOT do) then you should have a minimum of 12.5 for this installation. Can't tell real well if that is a 3/0 or 4/0 box, but you need check and verify the cu. in. that is stamped in the box!! I think it should be OK!! If you ever want to splice additional wires and extend the circuit, then THAT box will be too small, at that time!! The only "glaring" violations I can see is that you have two (2) problems with the ground wire. Number 1 is that you have the ground wire wrapped "counterclockwise" INSTEAD of "clockwise" around the stud that you have used as a ground stud (as I see it, you have an 8-32 or 10-32 stud coming in from the back of the box with a hex nut and flat washer and the bare ground is "under" the flat washer wound "counterclockwise"!! If you look at the top 12:00 (o'clock") position of the box, just below the fastener that you used through the top hole of the box to fasten the box to the wall, you'll see another hole just below it!! That is the "threaded" ground hole that you can thread a "green ground screw" through and wrap the ground wire around "CLOCKWISE" in order to "do it right!! Check the cubic inch capacity of the box, make the change to the ground wire and stud AND install a blank cover on the box and you are set!!!!! Bruce Leiby
Reply to
Richard B. (Bruce) Leiby

Thank you very much for your input, Bruce.

Walter The Happy Iconoclast

-

"Richard B. (Bruce) Leiby" wrote in message news:csc3o5$fap$ snipped-for-privacy@news.chatlink.com...

Reply to