Does the Zircon Studsensor SL actually find a stud?

The only stud sensor I've used is the "Zircon Studsensor SL" (black package) and it rarely finds the stud, even when I know where they are.

It's so frustrating, that, for the past few years, I just left it in the drawer and used the hollow-knock method.

But, today I pulled it out and tried to use it - and again was frustrated by its lack of repeatability.

Even when I know a stud is there, it is hit or miss with this thing.

Does anyone else have this particular studsensor who can tell me if it's just mine or if they're all just as worthless?

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

I do work in both directions.

Problems is that the stud finder that I have won't give the same answer twice. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

I just wanted to know if that was 'normal' or not - and - it seems that most of you have decent stud finders (while some have similar problems).

If only I could find a good review of current electronic stud finders so that I could just buy a decent one.

Unfortunately Consumer Reports has never tested them and Popular Mechanics has a test but they actually found the Zircon to be usable (which I find suspect and maybe paid for by advertisements).

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

I do calibrate it.

I read the instructions.

It must just be the one that I have because most of you are happy with your stud finders.

Here is a picture of what I ended up using to find the studs!

NOTE: I'm not sure if that URL works since I've never used picture posting sites before so here's another way to the same picture if it works:

Chuck Banshee

Chuck Banshee wrote in news:jd3vbh$pf4$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

I have an earlier Zircon studfinder(no sound,just LEDs) that works. it found the ceiling studs so I could mount my ceiling fan.I had to use cardboard to cover the popcorn finish so the Zircon would slide smoothly over the surface. I also have a Wood magazine article that shows them using a Zircon to find biscuits inside a glued-up wood panel.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

A lot has to do with the type of wall. In plaster and lathe, my Zircon sucks. To get useful readings I arm myself with a pad of Post-it notes and run scans in six inch spaced bands. I mark each band's "best guess" and by the time I've done four or five bands, the location of the stud usually becomes apparent. There's always one reading that's way off, though.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I thought I'd seen most of the stud sensors on the market, I guess I was wrong. o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas