does the irc require pressure treated bottom plates on a slab on grade house?

Robert:

Thanks for the chuckle! My structural notes do spell out hot-dipped galvanized.

Reply to
Bob Morrison

That's pretty close nail spacing. My inclination would be to recommend that you put one galvanized nail every other space, or that you put the galvanized nail right next to (1/2") the plain nail.

Another option is to add blocking between the studs on top of the existing sill. Fasten the blocking to the PT sill with galvanized nails, then put in a row of plain nails through the sheathing into the untreated blocks. Kinda of a pain in the backside, but it depends on how much work you want to do.

Reply to
Bob Morrison

OK, thanks, I think I'll do both of these, put two new nails in between two existing nails, at the ends of the space, and then skip a space. So the spacing will be {1/2", 3", 1/2", 4", repeat}.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

I think, the foam padding, used to seal against slab,bottom plate air leakage counts as a moisture barrer too. However, I have to say you are reasonable to belive the use of 'treated' lumber, isn't cost prohibitative.

Sounds like good advice,

tom @

Tom The Great