Does roofing warranty extend to new owner?

When a company installs a new roof, and offered a five year warranty against defective material and workmanship, how does this work?

My situation is this - the new roof was installed in 2004, after a mild hurricane in south Florida - not a strong hurricane but one that brought tons of rain. A new roof was installed - barrel concrete roof tiles on 80% of the roof except for a flat area they used asphalt cement. The contractor used the "expansive" foam adhesive to set the tiles.

Then in 2006 the owner sold his house - to me. I went up to the roof recently to investigate a leak and I noticed there were about 20 tiles that were cracked open. I believe the previously owner never went up to the roof to inspect the work (he is 85 years old), those cracked tiles were NOT cracked due to someone walking on them - they were cracked because of installation issues. Those tiles are completely cracked (meaning one tiles broken into 4, 6, 8 pieces) with foam busting out of the crack. They were very obvious to me the crackes were caused by the foam expanding too much, the foam is now semi- disintegrating due to weather for a few years. Also the flat section is ponding water and I can feel "bubbles" as I walk on some spots.

Now my question is, do you think this is defective workmanship? Should I be able to call the company and ask them to rectify and replace these 20 or so tiles and fix the flat roof? Does the warranty apply to me since I was not the original owner who contracted for the service (but I do have the paper work)?

I know I could call them and ask, but I would like to get all my facts before calling.

Thanks!

Reply to
nmbexcuse

Since you have the paperwork, none of us here have ever seen the paperwork, I'd suggest you read it. Pay close attention when you get to the part about transferability. Anything you read here is going to be pure speculation since only you have the written warranty.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Edwin:

I read it several times and there is nothing about transfer of ownership that is why I am wondering if there is any sort of "industry standard" on this sort of things.

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
nmbexcuse