Does my microwave diode look good to you?

I think so too.

Now why would you think that? Did you fail to notice that if there is 9 volts across the diode, there is no current running through the diode. How can you imagine that removing a 200 ohm resistorr will increase the current much? And with a 9-volt battery no less.

Since ;your answer does not sound like you think well, I won't read the rest of your posts, for fear I'll read foolishness but be too weak to avoid believing it. .

Reply to
micky

Thanks for that confirmation. Bummer. But now at least I know it's most likely the magnetron.

Reply to
Danny D.

Except there isn't 9 volts across the diode. There was 7 volts across the diode.

Reply to
Danny D.

That was forward biased. My reply was clearly about reverse biased. If you hadn't snipped so much and didn't want so much for me to be wrong, you'd have noticed.

End Quote.

I added the blank line between your first and second line so there'd be no doubt which direction I was talking about.

Reply to
micky

Would it make sense to hook the diode to a 9 v transistor battery in each polarity, and measure the milliamps current in each direction?

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've tested microwave high voltage with a regular meter. Carefully arrange a few high ohm resistors in series across the high voltage supply. So the total is 20 or more meg ohms. Like three 9.1m and one 1m. Use 1/2 watter s as there will still be some current involved. Put the small one on the g round side. Measure the voltage across the small resistor. Get it all set up so you're not touching anything at all before you power it own. Make su re none of your wires are close to anything else or a ground. Based on you r meter reading and the resistors you used you can calculate the total volt age. Keep in mind you are still fooling around with deadly voltages with e nough current available to kill you in an instant. Proceed at your own ris k.

Reply to
jamesgang

"Normal" diodes would fry under those circumstances; but I don't know what would happen with high-voltage diodes. That's why I have the resistor there.

Reply to
Danny D.

While you might get away doing it this way, look at the voltage ratings of the 1/2 watt resistors. Most are rated for less than 500 volts , so you are getting close or over the voltage ratings for many when they are in series. There are some resistors rated for more voltage. The meter leads probalby are not rated for over 1000 volts either, so make sure you are not holding them incase the one on the ground side opens up.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery