Does mouse poison lose its effectiveness?

I have two buckets of Lipatech Generation and Contrac Blox professional mouse bait. When I first moved into this house 10 years ago the mice would go through these things like crazy in my basement. Since the basement was sealed up I have not had any problems but now I have at least one mouse in the unfinished attic. I put these cubes in the mouse stations and also placed some out in the open.
I'm not getting any takers or bites on these. Both buckets are about five years old now. Do they loose they attracting appeal this quickly? It's almost as if they "know" what the deal is.
poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: ...

Five years is "quickly"??? :)

It's a hard dry cube kept in a "cool dry place." Yes I would say five years is quick.
poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

What's the attractant? One would presume it's fairly aromatic so that either simply evaporation of the more volatile components or a slow oxidation would be highly likely.
What's manufacturer's published expected shelf life? I'd be surprised if it were over a year at most...

poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

The news about bait gets out over "Mousenet" and all the mice learn which ones to avoid. Humans have to keep coming up with new baits on a regular basis to be effective.
TDD
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 12:32:27 -0500, The Daring Dufas

I thought it was spelled MoUsenet.

mm wrote:

mm, mm, mm now you know that 90% of the mice on Mousenet caynt spel.
TDD
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 05:27:08 -0500, The Daring Dufas

We should all call our Congressman and ask him to support No Mouse Left Behind.

mm wrote:

Well, mice are used in scientific research, it could be passed off as that and it would make it a good excuse for wasting taxpayer money.
TDD
poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Think cat.

Sounds like you've been breeding smart mice.
poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I have had customers over the years with contract baits placed in areas for years...whether it was they were 3-5 years or 5-10 years I don't recall but there have been numerous times that all of the sudden I would get hits on the baits. If you notice, the contrac blox have a hole on the center of the block...pack it with peanut butter.
Lar

Great idea! I will try that, thanks.