Does mouse poison lose its effectiveness?

I have two buckets of Lipatech Generation and Contrac Blox professional mouse bait. When I first moved into this house 10 years ago the mice would go through these things like crazy in my basement. Since the basement was sealed up I have not had any problems but now I have at least one mouse in the unfinished attic. I put these cubes in the mouse stations and also placed some out in the open.

I'm not getting any takers or bites on these. Both buckets are about five years old now. Do they loose they attracting appeal this quickly? It's almost as if they "know" what the deal is.

Reply to
poison_1024

poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: ...

Five years is "quickly"??? :)

Reply to
dpb

The news about bait gets out over "Mousenet" and all the mice learn which ones to avoid. Humans have to keep coming up with new baits on a regular basis to be effective.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Think cat.

Reply to
HeyBub

Sounds like you've been breeding smart mice.

Reply to
kpg*

I thought it was spelled MoUsenet.

Reply to
mm

mm, mm, mm now you know that 90% of the mice on Mousenet caynt spel.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

We should all call our Congressman and ask him to support No Mouse Left Behind.

Reply to
mm

Well, mice are used in scientific research, it could be passed off as that and it would make it a good excuse for wasting taxpayer money.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

It's a hard dry cube kept in a "cool dry place." Yes I would say five years is quick.

Reply to
poison_1024

What's the attractant? One would presume it's fairly aromatic so that either simply evaporation of the more volatile components or a slow oxidation would be highly likely.

What's manufacturer's published expected shelf life? I'd be surprised if it were over a year at most...

Reply to
dpb

I have had customers over the years with contract baits placed in areas for years...whether it was they were 3-5 years or 5-10 years I don't recall but there have been numerous times that all of the sudden I would get hits on the baits. If you notice, the contrac blox have a hole on the center of the block...pack it with peanut butter.

Lar

Reply to
Lar

Great idea! I will try that, thanks.