Does Mortar Mix go bad with age?

Page 2 of 3
On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 11:24:51 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

How does one not know that the internet is required for email to happen?
Wait until they tell him that he has to pay for data in order to get email. That might be fun to listen in on.
P: I have to pay for data? What data? I just want email. C: Yes sir, I know, but email requires that data be sent to your phone. P: How does it get to my phone? C: Either wirelessly from an internet router or from the cell tower. P: Well, the internet is dead, so I only want the data from the cell tower. C: Sir, you do know that the data travels on the internet before it gets to the tower, right? P: That can't be right. The internet is dead. Just sent my email from the tower and we'll be all set.
On 7/29/2016 11:02 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I remember my first pc. I didn't know anything about them and thought the keyboard had something to do with being the C drive! ;-)
--
Maggie

Sat, 30 Jul 2016 15:19:53 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

The C drive eh? [g]
You haven't changed that much... You still think you were a SysOp despite the fact you don't know what a Node is, and couldn't tell me a single line of a DOOR.SYS file if your life depended on it. As you've *never* setup or actually ran a BBS of any kind. You tried to claim that your web forum software was a BBS because it's author said it was on the advertising material for it. Horse shit.
You were an IrcOp for MS, but, never have you been a SysOp. You insult those of us who put the time in and paid all that money to ma bell for the toll calls, multiple lines, etc. Not to mention the uber expensive hardware that required you to get to know your gear, intimately. Before the days of Windows 95, Muggles... long before.

The web might be "changing" as you say, but I dont know how you can say that usenet is not dead (or real close to dead). There are thousands of newsgroups and 99% of them have not had even one post in a year. The few that are still used, (like this one), are rarely following the topic of the group. alt.home.repair used to be about home repair. That's rare these days, and the few that are on topic are usually reruns from Homeowners Hub.
I dont have a smartphone. Just a basic flip phone that gets calls, txt, and real basic internet. I can google for a picture, like "dog" and see it. I can get weather reports and radar. It's supposed to get email. It even has a place for yahoo, gmail, hotmail, but (for example), gmail wont even let me connect. It whines about "not secure". If it does, why the heck is that even offerred on the phone?
I dont want a smartphone, but maybe a newer flip phone will work, since my phone is over 5 years old. It's just a prepaid tracfone and I dont think they even offer smartphones. Not that I know of anyhow.
On 8/2/2016 2:54 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

If Usenet were dead all the newsgroups on the list wouldn't have any activity. Things change, especially, newsgroups, and they changed based on how people want to participate. Although this ngs name is "home.repair", it still has one thing that we can't get away from, and that's people. We aren't one dimensional. While we can come here and have a forum about "home repair", those topics always morph into related discussions that have nothing to do with "home repair". If we never morphed like that, the group would be extremely boring and people would leave and ONLY show up here when they had a question about home repair. As it stands now this group is very active and dynamic, and it reflects real people and what's on real people's minds. If I don't want to read a thread because it's not about something I'm interested in, I ignore it - easy.

Well, don't get a smartphone if you don't want one.
FWIW, I like reading your posts even if I don't respond to all of them. You've got a different perspective on everything, and as far as I'm concerned it's good to be around people with different perspectives.
--
Maggie

On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 22:08:05 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

If all you want is text, email and usenet, get an old copy of Agent and use dial up. I barely notice when my system has dialed in because the broadband was down and I am reading my mail or usenet. It is when I get a picture or something that it just crawls. At V.34 speeds text just flies. At V.90 even pictures are tolerable.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Granted, I loved my dialup days.. but, I'm in no rush to go back to them. I do appreciate advancements in technology and broadband. I think I'd find some way of making a wifi capable computer tether to my cell phone and temp instruct said computer to take over routing operations for the rest of the network to get the other computers back online. It wouldn't be nearly as fast as my normal broadband, but, it wouldn't be as slow as dialup, either.
I think I might have an easier time reconfiguring a wifi enabled linux based laptop to tether to my phone and provide 'broadband' to the rest of the network (I'd tie the routers WAN port into the laptops LAN port) than I would getting one of the Windows machines to do it.
On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 00:27:57 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That's all I use now.... 56K dialup!
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo formulated the question :

Outlook Express probably doesn't do that either.
| > Add this to your filters | > (no quotes) | > "caedfaa9ed1216d60ef78a6f660f5f85" | | Outlook Express probably doesn't do that either.
It does. I can block be sender in newsgroups. (Thankfully, though this is the only group where I've ever needed to.) But I assumed that a long, random character list is used as a way to make sure every post comes from a different source. I see now, though, looking at some of them, that the first part is always the same, at least recently. So I'll try that. I suppose I could also block "example.com", but I wonder if some people might use that.
on 7/30/2016, Mayayana supposed :

You may find that the ones with the Posting Host encoded, the leading characters, when B64 decoded, come out as Salted_ or something like that. Of course that means the rest is useless for filtering on. The Posting Account one changes for each post (for anti-tracking purposes) and is also useless. NewsProxy gives more ability to filter if you find you have to go that route. Some 'other' newsreaders offer filters using RegEx.
Anyway, good luck.

I've had that filter set for close to a year and it blocks all posts from Homeowners Hub (except followups from other posters).

Then use the same program for both.
--
Basketball analyst: "He dribbles a lot and the opposition doesn't like it. In fact you can see it all over their faces."

Most newsreaders that can do even basic filtering can do it on Message- ID. That's effective in this case - just filter out all messages that have "flashnewsgroups" in the M-ID.
Nil submitted this idea :

I noticed as Mayayana said the "Sender: " field has a first part before the semicolon which seems not to change. Could be a non salted hash of the posting host. Anything unique and stable should work.
alt.home.repair:

The flaw with that is that "Sender" is not one of the standard overview header fields that all newsreaders initially fetch (along with Subject, From, Newsgroups, and a couple others.) Some but not all newsreaders are able to go back and then request the server to supply other fields, but that takes more time and computer power on both the server and client end, and not all news servers allow it. If possible, it's better to filter on the standard header fields if possible. That's why checking Message-ID for the string "flashnewsgroups" is a good candidate, and it will catch all these homeownershub doofuses.
Nil submitted this idea :

In this case I think "From: " has consistent strings, but only up to the underscore character. RegEx support would be nice.
alt.home.repair:

Yes, you're right - going back through mid-June, it appears that all homeownershub From addresses start with "caedfaa9ed1216d60ef78a6f660f5f85_" and end with "@example.com". I don't know, but I suspect that that long string might change over time, and I know the example.com domain is not exclusively theirs. I'd still prefer to filter off the MID, since I'm confident that never changes, but the long From string would be an OK choice if my newsreader couldn't do the other. Maybe you'd have to alter it after while, but that wouldn't be a major hardship.
Nil presented the following explanation :

Since it's web based, I suppose the MID isn't optionally end user supplied like it is when one has a real newsreader. Looks like a good choice.
Mayayana posted for all of us...

Use a filter in your newsreader in the sender category.
--
Tekkie